free website stats program Windshirld replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

Windshirld replacement

PetieJ

I am having to replace a broken factory windshield on my 03 Heritage, the plastic only. When I removed the hardware from the windshield, there was what looked to be, double sided taped on a couple pieces of the metal strips, the two strips that run vertical on the windshield, only on the front most or outside pieces. Anyone know the whys and what fores for this tape? I can make some guesses. Wind vibration for one.
Not installing the stock plastic from Harley, new from from Rifle. Just wondering if I should do it on the new install.

Thanks

It acts as a cushion to protect the plastic shield and keeps it from shifting too. They come with the new shield replacement when you buy one.

A word of caution when you replace the shield, center the bolts in the pre drilled holes or open them up with a dremel tool so the bolt doesn't touch the plastic or it will crack from the bolt hole outwards.

Windshield Cracks - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited:
Thought about making the holes a tad larger, then I found out that the windshield comes with plastic washers that fit in the holes to keep the screws from the shield. This is good I hope.

Duh! yeah, I should have checked the self help section first. Never seem to remember to think about it. Guess I need to put a sticky note on the computer screen and leave it there.

Thanks Glider & Hobbit

Thought about making the holes a tad larger, then I found out that the windshield comes with plastic washers that fit in the holes to keep the screws from the shield. This is good I hope.

Maybe they finally got wise to a problem with the shields cracking.:small3d018:

Maybe they finally got wise to a problem with the shields cracking.:small3d018:

I have talked to a few of the windshield manufacturers about this, and have some experiance using Lexan from before I retired. If the bolt touches the edge of the hole, you will have line contact since the bolt is smaller than the hole. This concentrates the force when the wind turbulence vibrates the windshield against the side of the bolt and will eventually cause it to crack. The plastic washers that came with the shield from Rifle should effectively isolate the bolt from the windshield and mitigate this problem. If you get a windshield that does not have the washers or something similar, be especially careful during the assemble to prevent contact with the side of the bolt and the windshield. Design your own washer if possible or it will just be a matter of time before it cracks.

Yep, I hope the washers do the trick.
I wonder why the stock Harley shields are Lexan? Rifle and Memphis Shades use Lucite, but both use washers. In my past race car days, in formula ford, we and others used mostly Lucite, some Lexan. The lucite seemed to be more resistant to chemicals, scratches and cracking. I guess cost is a factor. Lucite is a tad more costly.
I will see. I hope. I remember HD is (Hundred Dollars) Harley Davidson.

Lexan is vastly superior when it comes to strength and resistance to breaking. There is a video somewhere that shows several tests between lexan and lucite. Lexan was the clear winner.

I guess I may have to file this under "live and learn". The video was impressive. My Lexan stock shield took a soft hit and broke off a 6" chunk. This was a surprise. I will have to see how long the Lucite will hold up. Can't imagine why the Lucite would be Dot approved if it was not tough or SAFE. Of course DOT has a different BRAINS department then what some think.
This is a test and only a test, will be on my mind.

Thanks guys. If this one goes, it will be lexan next time with a $100 lesson.

Back