free website stats program Windshield | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Windshield

The best windshield I have ever had that stopped buffeting and did not distort vision at the top of the shield was a Memphis Shades Fats, but it was a big shield and it was easy to take off, but a pain to put back on. I always had to loosen and realign the fork brackets.

For my Dyna Super Glide I went with the smaller HD Quick Mount, you do get some buffeting, but with a little adjusting I have it down to were it's not bad. Also there is a lot of distortion in vision at the top inch of the shield. I had the shield 2 months and one of the pot metal cam locks that hold the windshield to the forks broke. The dealer did repair it at no charge.

All in all for appearance and ease of mount/dismount I'll go with the HD Quick Mount.

I took my stock HD windshield off and put on the WindVest 14"x14" on my 2010 FB.
Grrreat, kinda feels like ridin in the wind, but no bugs hit your face. Alot less buffeting.
....and looks neat!
wilks3

I have the HD Standard Detachable with tint on my 06 Street Bob and love it. I'm 6' with a mustang day tripper seat on it. I keep the shield down in the lowest position I can which allows me to see nicely over it but keeps most of the cold morning air off of me. Best part though is when I take it out in the heat I can just pop the shield off and go.

I still love the bike without the shield, but the shield is a must for those cold mornings when I ride into work.

I really like the quick detach I bought , I can put it on in 5 seconds and take it off in 2 . I only used it if riding on the highway , I do go so boffeting but I think that's just the nature of the wind shield .

I added extention brackets to my QD windshield on the Dyna this morning. I looked at what others had done and came up with this for an easy proof-of-concept test. It only requires 2 sets of these items.
IMG_1912.JPG

The acorn nut captures the extension on the side of the existing bolt and belville washers that hold the windshield. The new buttonhead bolt attaches the extention to the fork QD bracket, the bend keeps everything aligned. Make sure you do not lose the original cup washer, that is what sets the tension on the belville washers and actually holds the windshield in place.

IMG_1910.JPG

IMG_1915.JPG

Easy to do, took about an hour to make after I decided how to approach. I moved the bottom out about 3/4 of an inch. The windshield angle is now slightly greater than the forks. By moving the lower bracket up or down and angling the extention, it can be set to almost any angle.

Then went for a ride and could not believe the difference. I used to feel like my helmet was going to be ripped off my head around 65 to 70. I could hardly feel it at all at 70 on my test ride. So, the proof-of-concept works great.

I have a design that replaces the cup washer next to the belville washers. Make the same extention as I made, do not bend it, and make an 0.080" deep counter bore around one of the holes in the extention. It would not be any more functional, but would be a lot cleaner installation. Just have to go to a machine shop to have it made since I do not know of any way I could make the counter bore in metal.

Back