free website stats program Windshield | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Windshield

I have the quick detach windshield for my 2009 FXDF. It works great. I'm 6'5", it sits maybe three inches below my line of sight, and it eliminates 90% of the wind and that same percentage of bugs. I attached a windshield bag on the inside which serves as a very nice glove compartment of sorts. Between the upper and lower trees, there's about 2 inches of latitude in the height you set the clamps to. I've been moving it up steadily to the point it now rests as high up the forks as possible. My only regret is that it doesn't cover the hands. Guess I need a touring bike and fairing for that.

Hello All
Can someone tell me if they like their windshields after they bought them?I think I am going to buy a detachable one? what should I know before I buy one thanks Hoop:worthy
There are many choices, but for me it was the HD QR smoked windscreen pushed all the right buttons, and when I saw one mounted on a used Sportster, I knew the fit would be right. Can easily look over it or tuck in to bet out of the wind.

On a sportbike fairings were for looks, aerodynamics for the machine and to keep the main wind off your chest. When doing a spirited ride in the twisties, wind is of little consequence when you are listening to a multi inline 4 on song, watching out for traction and braking points. But on a touring bike/cruiser...still air is a good thing...larger more protection, but poorer aerodynamics...smaller less protection and less impact on handling. Your choice, as to what serves you best...:small3d036:

What is buffeting?

Buffeting is undersired and turbulent air shaking your head!
Using windshields there are to types of buffeting:
  • air flowing from above the windshield
  • air flowing from below the windshield upward
the first can be corrected adjusting the height.
the second is more annoying, because all ways to get rid of it are simply.... ugly!
Appendixes hanging from the bottom of the windshield, flaps opening on the jacket while running....

The best ways to avoid buffeting are:
  • slow speed (with windshield)
  • detach the windshield (in summer)

My personal opinion :)

Ciao
Ugo

Jimmy K, you can make a couple of extentions and install them on the lower brackets to move the bottom of the windshield out, this pulls the top of the windshield back. I moved mine out less than 3/4" at the bottom and that moved the top back about 3" on the top. The new angle has the windshield at the same angle/rake as the front end forks on my FXSTC. I am going to try the fork bag as well, thanks for the tip and the update on how it worked.
Remember, Ride Safe...

Hello All
Can someone tell me if they like their windshields after they bought them?I think I am going to buy a detachable one? what should I know before I buy one thanks Hoop:worthy

I have a National windshield (looks like the compact Harley) and it works great with My AeroVest (Jack's Flaps) no buffeting and I can smoke at 75 on the freeway, and, I don't need ear plugs, great combo :p

Jimmy K, you can make a couple of extentions and install them on the lower brackets to move the bottom of the windshield out, this pulls the top of the windshield back. I moved mine out less than 3/4" at the bottom and that moved the top back about 3" on the top. The new angle has the windshield at the same angle/rake as the front end forks on my FXSTC. I am going to try the fork bag as well, thanks for the tip and the update on how it worked.
Remember, Ride Safe...

Do you have a pic of the extensions you made? Seems to make aerodynamic sense for the windshield to have the same rake as the forks. The fork bag helped 80%, the extensions might finish the job. I think I might also try the aerovest. Might make for a more comfortable ride with the windshield off also.

Good luck with the fork bag, hope it helps as much as mine did.

Jimmy

I have a Memphis Shades quick detach for my Street Bob.
The buffeting caused by air coming under the shield and over my tank forces air up my nostrils at an incredible force. (Turbo nostrils) A lot of air travels up my shins as I have long legs and forward controls. I can only ride with my shield on the highway if I wear my full-face helmet. And even then the buffeting bangs my head around so badly that I rarely ride with a shield.

I also hate the looks of all the garbage you would have to hang on the front of the bike to get rid of the air.

Do you have a pic of the extensions you made? Seems to make aerodynamic sense for the windshield to have the same rake as the forks. The fork bag helped 80%, the extensions might finish the job. I think I might also try the aerovest. Might make for a more comfortable ride with the windshield off also.

Good luck with the fork bag, hope it helps as much as mine did.

Jimmy

Jimmy, may want to check out the Search tab near the top of the page, type in key words ... windshield angle brackets ... came up with this thread, Glider & Speed did a fine job making things easy:

http://www.hdtimeline.com/softail_models/10780-changed_the_windshield_angle.html

Back