free website stats program Windshield | Harley Davidson Forums

Windshield

hoop

Hello All
Can someone tell me if they like their windshields after they bought them?I think I am going to buy a detachable one? what should I know before I buy one thanks Hoop:worthy

I have a detrachable windshield and really like it. There are times I want to ride without windshield, so the detachable makes sense. The only problem I have with mine is that with the quick disconnect hardward, the windshield sticks out a little in front of headlight and I get a glare with brights. Put a visor on headlight and that helped.

I got the detachable HD for my FXDC, and overall really like it. It takes all that wind pressure off & makes for less fatigue and is just plain more comfortable riding.

I am trying to sort out some minor buffeting with it though. I just put on a fork bag and when it quits storming around here will test ride and see if that improves it. Also thinking about the aero-vest or whatever that vest with the flaps is called. Seen many posts here that recommend it highly.

I also like to ride without the windshield about half the time, so really like the detachable. Great hardware on it too, very solid and easy to get on/off. Takes about 3 seconds. Can't go wrong with it in my opinion.

Good luck with it.

Jimmy

I also have the quick-detach on my FXSTC. I altered the windshield angle to reduce the wind buffeting, I found the tip on angle on this site... I like the ride a lot better with the windshield on.
Jimmy_K, let us know if the fork bag helps with your buffeting issues, I may try one myself.
Remember, Ride Safe...

I also have the quick-detach on my FXSTC. I altered the windshield angle to reduce the wind buffeting, I found the tip on angle on this site... I like the ride a lot better with the windshield on.
Jimmy_K, let us know if the fork bag helps with your buffeting issues, I may try one myself.
Remember, Ride Safe...

I'll let you know if the fork bag does anything hopefully tomorrow, weather's supposed to break.

How did you go about changing the angle on your quick-detach? And did it help much?

Jimmy

After many miles of riding with one on for some reason I decided to pull it off my Fb a couple weeks ago. Now I remember why I have them. I do not see me ever riding anywere other than a parade without one again. I don't care how it looks.

i know first hand how you feel. going from the glide to the dyna has made me feel the same as you on this issue. now to find "the one" that looks as well as works best on the se

I mounted additional beams on my Street Bob so I was "forced" to get the HD suited for this configuration.
It's a little too high: maybe a little shorter would be better.
Anyway, despite the buffeting at high speed, during winter is great!

It really detaches in a jiff: gonna take it off soon as the weather improves.

Good investment!

Ciao
Ugo

Fork bag results are in.

The $40 fork bag went a LONG way in reducing the wind buffeting with the quick-detach.

Might have reduced wind noise a little too. But mainly, really helped with the buffeting.

Much nicer highway riding with it. Mostly tested it in the 55-65 mph range, not above.

It's mounted just below the windshield, and in fact the bag is so big it forces the windshield to be mounted a little higher than I like. I'll take the trade off though.

I'll post pics of this one when I can, and would recommend to anyone else getting one to consider size and how it will affect the windshield mount.

Very happy with it though. And much relieved to find a solution to that buffeting!

Jimmy

Hoop; I bought the big "convertable" quick detach windshield for my Dyna for my trip from Florida to Canada in '95. It hasn't been off for more than a few miles since then.:) I just do not like the wind pressure anymore. The fork mount shields are quite sensitive to angle, just a little fore or aft will change the airflow quite a lot.

Back