free website stats program Windshield spray on tint? | Harley Davidson Forums

Windshield spray on tint?

Rockchalk

Have 06 Road King with a plain Harley clear windshield. Was wanting to take off bottom brace and tint everything below that black, to match bike. Have read in self help, some say tint you get for cars will work and others say it doesn't stick well since it' in the weather. Have heard of a product called Night Shades thats a rattle can used for blacking out taillights on cars. I guess you can still see thru. Also heard Krylon makes something similar. Don't want to screw up a good windshield and wonder if it needs to be lightly sanded in some way to adhere. Any advice or anyone ever used such a product? Thanks.

Haven't heard, but am interested in the topic. I'd consider doing the same thing to my windshield. Spray can method would be great if the results were good.

I guess the key here is to contact Kryon or manufacturer of the product and ask if it will stick to Lexan or Acylic type windscreens and withstand weathering. Used stuff in a car but that was GLASS...! Painting on plastic surface, you will only have one "shot" at it to make it right.

I sure would not sand or scuff a good windsheild. I believe I would find and old one or a piece of clear plastic to do a test on.

If you want it black why not go to a sign shop and buy a piece of weatherproof black sign material cut it to size, spray a little soapy water on the windshield, peel the backing off and apply like you would window tint. I had a sign shop and never had a problem with it peeling or cracking.

There are local companies that tints car windows. Could you not take the windshield off the bike and take it to them. A job so small, shouldn't cost much.

Thanks for the info. My son does vinyl signs and decals, If I went that way your not going to be able to see thur the blacken area. Did find a Rust-Oleum product yesterday at Auto Zone made for this, $18.00 for a rattle can. Talked to the guy there who said it works well for plastics. He said he wouldn't sand or scothbrite, just clean really well. I'm like the other posts, the dirt and equal spray coverage looking the same might be the biggest hurdle. Heck now I'm thinking might give it a try and have my son make me a sweet looking templet to spray over for the sides where it lines up with the middle of the bottom frame, where i'm breaking the paint from the clear windshield. Thanks for the responses. I'll post if turns out okay. If not I may be looking for a used windshield.

Tint for glass works fine .I have had my windsheild tinted for 3 years, no problems. The only thing i did was after the windsheild was tinted, i took clear nail polish an went around the edge of the tint to seal it.

I tried a tinted windshield (Memphis Shades) on my Ultra but didn't like the fact I lost the ability to see down when making turns in evening or lower light.
I returned the windshield (only had it on a short time) to J&P. They are very good to work with.
I stayed with the clear windshield for safety purposes.

Now I do have a Memphis Shades factory black shaded windshield for my Sportster and that works well. Line of sight is clear.
Maybe they have one for you?

I've never tried the spray on tint; however, I have tinted a few cars windows way back in the day. I have a feeling you'd be better off just spending the $$ to get a tinted shield. You can get a good quality shield for less than $100 and then you don't have to worry about peeling/flaking. How would you clean dried bug guts w/out scratching or flaking the spray-on stuff?

If you do try it, let us know how it works.

Back