free website stats program Windshield replacement installation | Harley Davidson Forums

Windshield replacement installation

sfcaruso

I replaced my windshield and did not use double sided tape between the windshield and the brackets like was previously used because it was so difficult to remove. Will this cause me any issues? Vibration, cracking of the windshield in time , etc?

I would suggest to remove the brackets NOW and install the tape and reinstall the brackets. Also make sure when you locate the brackets that the bolt holes in the bracket is centered in the hole on the shield or that will crack the shield too if the bolt contacts the shield.

Have you changed with windshield on your Street Glide- I took mine off to put on a pocket-pouch- could not get all 3 holes lined up so they fit within the 3 plastic notches on the faring?? Only two would correctly align...

BigLew is absolutely right, make sure you start all fasteners, checking that the screen holes are lined up, first finger tight then use screwdriver torque wrench when doing essentially the 3rd or 4th final tightening sequence from middle to the ends as evenly as possible. There should be no twisting or tension on the screen. :)

BTW - WD40 works quite well at softening up the adhesive, makes easy work to pull old tape off. But you have to clean all traces of it off before putting on the new tape! If the tape does not come pre-punched, mark exactly where they should be and use a leather punch pliers (get it from Michaels' or Harbor Freight) to make the holes prior to installation. :s

Back