free website stats program Windshield preferences ?? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Windshield preferences ??

This is getting off the subject a bit, but all of this talk about wind buffeting and windshield design has me wondering why Harley never designed a better aerodynamic fairing? Years ago, I had a bike with a Windjammer fairing. At 70 mph there wouldn't be any wind buffet on your helmet. There was a breeze, but the air mostly went over and around you. Even in rain, if you kept your speed up, only your legs would get wet. On one trip I rode through a thunderstorm. Had my feet tucked up as high as possible and increased speed to 80 mph. My face shield wasn't even getting wet. With my Tour Glide Classic, I get wet all over. Water runs down my face. There is the rumble of wind buffet in my ears. My eyeballs vibrate. (EDIT), if Windjammer ever is back in business making fairings, I'll buy one for my Harley! I'd be an outcast, but that's the way it would be.

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the re-curve from Klock Werks and I hated it. Because of my hight problem I sat right in the middle of the storm that makes the Klock Werks windshield work.It also distorts the view should you need to look through it. It was good looking on the bike just not good for me, now if you are a tall person then you may like it. Sold it about 3 weeks after I got it. I have a half tint windshield from Memphis Shades (lower half black upper half Smoke) and I love it nice clean look with style, I actually get a lot of compliments on it.

Also check out Freedom Shields Harley Davidson Motorcycle Windshields

These are recurved shields... the owner worked for a competitor and made changes to address the previous company's weaknesses.

These shields are 30% thicker than stock and have polished edges - really can feel the difference and the polished edges just give it a truly finished appearence.

I'm 6' - I got a 9" (3 shorter than stock) dark tint, recurve... The rider pocket is better than with the taller stock shield. Only change I'd make would be to get the 10" next time - still able to see over it, and even better air flow...

JMHO

-bogie

Check out the windshields at Fast Aire Motorcycle Products the prices are great as well as the windshields. I am 6'2" on a 2009 Untra. I have the tall boy seat and put the 8" Dark Grey on my bike. There is no problem with buffering and I look just over the windshield.

Well I kinda live close to Clark's Custom Windshield's (about 70 miles away). 5 of my riding buddies and I actually rode up to Big Clifty, KY a couple of weeks ago and met Pat & Robin Clark. Pat measured me on my bike for correct windshield height and we got to watch them make this windshield from scratch. It is amazing to watch this flat piece of lexan become a windshield. Both Pat and Robin have specific jobs for it's construction. Pat does the layout, cutting, drilling and rough sanding then Robin does the final edge finishing. We even installed it on my E-Glide right in their shop after it was finished and I rode away with my new windshield !!! I thought it would be some C-N-C machined, one of a big batch of windshields but NO, they make them one at a time. The price of the windshield was nothing compared to the hand made craftsmanship we witnessed. I highly recommend this product. I will be a poster-child for them. They are the real deal, good people to do business with. Just my 2 cents worth. Happy trails...

The price of the windshield was nothing compared to the hand made craftsmanship we witnessed. I highly recommend this product. I will be a poster-child for them. They are the real deal, good people to do business with. Just my 2 cents worth. Happy trails...

+1 for these fine folks as well. GREAT people, easy to do biz with.

But as an owner of two of their W/S and also an owner of the LRS Ultra here is what I noticed...

I like the fact that the Clark's extend longer on either side, greatly reducing wrap around wind and noise - but I still had buffeting issues coming from over the top, in order to move the air higher and over, I would have to get a taller W/S - and in MY case, wanting a dark tint, I did not want that in my line of sight.

The LRS - while it is not as wide as the Clark's W/S, I can have a shorter shield cause their flip up forces the air over my head, therefore I can have the darker tinted W/S.

IMO - BOTH are good quality and excellent companies to deal with.

Too bad we can "fuse" the two ideas together! :newsmile01:

Just trying to give an objective opinion and reasons behind my opinion.

Also check out Freedom Shields Harley Davidson Motorcycle Windshields

These are recurved shields... the owner worked for a competitor and made changes to address the previous company's weaknesses.

These shields are 30% thicker than stock and have polished edges - really can feel the difference and the polished edges just give it a truly finished appearence.

I'm 6' - I got a 9" (3 shorter than stock) dark tint, recurve... The rider pocket is better than with the taller stock shield. Only change I'd make would be to get the 10" next time - still able to see over it, and even better air flow...

JMHO

-bogie

I hope that I am as fortunate as you. I ordered mine today,should be here next thursday. I got the 8" in the dark tint. I am 5'10" so I hope that it will work out. I am not one to buy on line but with the return policy hopefully all will go well. My big problem is going to be getting the scoot out as we are going to get more snow and I will not take it out until all the salt is off the road.

Back