free website stats program Windshield or not windshield? That is the question... | Harley Davidson Forums

Windshield or not windshield? That is the question...

ugocon

I know this is an old debate....

But now I know both sides of the story so I'd like to share with you my feedbacks!

My last two HD's had the windshield mounted.
In winter it's a must IMHO: cold is enormously reduced and this is very good for your health! :s
On the bad side, you get a disturbing air flow from the bottom hitting your helmet, the stronger the faster you ride, but it is really annoying over 120 kmh in my case (I usually ride at 90/100 kmh): to reduce it you must lean towards the windshield and get closer to the tank.
Moreover, when it's a windy day, you feel it! :s The bike is hit by the gusts and you need to counteract them.
Last but not least, if you go fast you "feel" a greater "drag" and this will affect your fuel consumption.

Today I wanted to try without windshield.
It's 30 °C, really hot (too hot to be in May...:49:).
I wore only a t-shirt and a pair of jeans.

Folks!

It's been one of my most enjoyable rides in years! :)

I seemed to "attack" the road and I felt a better control of the bike.
The sense of freedom has increased enormously: you really feel yourself the master of the road!

Only, the noise in the helmet was much stronger and I had the sensation to ride much faster than I actually was going.

The decision is taken: no more windshield until next cold weather, that in Rome means about November.... :p
(unless a long ride on the highway: in that case the windshield is recommended in order to reduce the air pressure on the muscles of the neck...)

I enjoyed my ride too much and I had to share it with you!
:)

Ciao
Ugo

No windshield ever for me. The way I feel is if I want to be behind a windshield, I would take the car for a ride..

I have a quick release HD windscreen, offers up the best of both worlds. There is a soft sack that you can put it in to prevent scratches...:D

Windshield for me! Keeps my head from bobbin'. I didn't realize this though, until I got a bike with a windshield. Now I am spoiled.

I don't get any of the wind from the bottom you write about either.

I don't like my wife's Street Glide because the windshield is too short.

One big fat juicy yellow jacket was all it took for me to like my shield. Ate to many bugs in my younger years ,never did taste to good!

Never had a windshield till my 08 FLHT and now I'll never be without one on any ride further than down to the store.

I ride with a windshield on my '09 RK, I like it, but I do get a fair amount of head buffeting doing anything over 60mph. However, w/out the WS, doing said speed, the wind blasts to my torso almost make me feel like I'm going to get blown off the bike.

Any recommendations for the windshield issue? I wear a FF helmet. I really like the height of the stock ws, as I have about 2 inches clearance over it... just that darn highway travel that gives me some turbulence.

ride safe
Drew

Ate to many bugs in my younger years ,never did taste to good!

In South East Asia they shouldn't ride with a windshield: just read their menus at the restaurants! :p

But they do... maybe because of heavy showers all the time.

I have no experience of riding with a windshield but, just as a matter of curiosity, how does the windscreen affects the performance and the fuel consumption?

Back