free website stats program Windshield Mounting Tape | Harley Davidson Forums

Windshield Mounting Tape

bikerjeff

My '07 FLHTC has had persistant problems with H2O getting inside the fairing and fouling the radio, guages, etc.

Small gaps are easily apparent between outer fairing & windshield.

Several dealers have insisted that HD does not make a gasket for this & I was just about to try to fab one myself, when while at a dealer yesterday - and after they also said no part available, I happened to look at a new Ultra, and there IS a gasket! Brought the parts guy over, showed him and he went back to his book and whataya know - part number 58247-96 Tape, Windshield Mounting, exists. Its really not very susbstantial; thin blown cell foam with an adhesive back. I assume this does get mounted on the windshield, by it's name...

Anybody use this before? Does it work? Any alternatives?

It does work to a degree. I bought a replacement windshield and it came with a gasket that was a little thicker than the stock one. You can buy self adhesive foam tape at most home improvement stores. I'm thinking it installs it on the fairing and not the windshield.

When I bought my latest windshield from Clarks Custom windshields, it included a gasket. The instructions call for mounting inside the fairing lip. Of course I ripped it the second time I had the fairing off. I used some weather strip tape that's a bit thicker. I got a whole roll of the stuff at Lowes/H.Depot for a few $$.

If it is happening in the rain remove fairing and check seal that goes around inside of fairing at lower mounting points and headlight also. If happening while washing you really only want to use a damp rag to clean inside of fairing and gauges and switch packs. I know this from experience having to replace speedo from water streaks.

dbmg's reply made me remember that my '07 has a fist size opening at the bottom of the fairing where cables and harness' go in. I closed it up fairly well with several strips of duct tape. Maybe that's where some/most of your water intrusion is happening.

I did not know Harley made such a gasket. When I had this problem I cut some strips of the narrow foam insulation you put around doors and windows. It is extremelly sticky on one side. I stays put. Black in color so it matches good.

If you are purchasing a roll of weatherstripping from a hardware store be sure it is a closed cell foam and not open cell.The open cell will wick water in and provide a 4-5 day drip onto the radio and other electronics.:s
That's good to know Steve. I never would have known that there even was a difference.

Good information for all touring/fairing bike owners. My 09 FLHX seal's already pretty bad on corners & I've only had my w/s & front off a couple of times. Will definitely get some of the recommended stuff from our local home store(s).

Thanks folks. Looks like everybody has settled on very practical solutions. Seems like sealing up a fairing is about equal to sealing up a sieve...

Back