free website stats program windshield height | Harley Davidson Forums

windshield height

alleyking

I am having a slight problem with the height of my stock removable windshield on my 07 RK. I am 5"10 and the top of the shield is directly in my line of sight. If I look through it, I have to lower my head a bit, and the view is distorted. If I look over it, i have to sit up very straight. Can this thing be adjusted at all? I dont want to: 1.) buy a new shield, 2) cut it, or 3) buy a lower seat.

I think I already know that answer, but I thought i would ask anyway.
Thanks

There is no adjustment on the windshield itself. So it's either sit up straight, slouch or lean back, or get it cut or buy another.

I am rlong waisted so the stock windshield for me was too short. My helmet visor vibrated badly at highway speed. I bought the two inch longer windshield and the problem went away. I can still see over it if I sit up but it sure is noce during a heavy rain. The windshield pays for itself then.

Ride safe

Bubba

I am rlong waisted so the stock windshield for me was too short. My helmet visor vibrated badly at highway speed. I bought the two inch longer windshield and the problem went away. I can still see over it if I sit up but it sure is noce during a heavy rain. The windshield pays for itself then.

Ride safe

Bubba

Yes, and I know a guy that cuts and forms them for like $40-$50. So Well worth it.:D

You have to cut yours or buy the short Harley one. I've had 3 Road Kings, all with the short shield. It works super for me @ 5'9"...

If you are going to cut the windshield sit on the bike and put a small mark at the height you wan't.Then use masking tape as a guide to where you are cutting.This gives you the best visual of what it will look like and allows you to make sure your cut is going to be even.I use a 3'' abrasive quick cut to cut the shield,then finish off with a fine flat file.

*I use the abrasive quick cut because it generates just enough heat to keep the acrylic from cracking while you are cutting it.This has worked for me for years and I have made a lot of boat and bike windshields for myself and friends*

Last edited:
Follow Steve's adivce, but if you don't want to cut it yourself. You can take it to just about any glass shop and they'll be able to cut it to your exact height, once you determine what that is.... :coffee

id just buy the klockworks mid size screen with the recurve. gives about 4 inches more of airflow above your head. depending on how you sit. i will not be without one.

Thanks for the advise, guys. I am really not wanting to try and cut this thing on my own. I will take it to a glass shop and see if they can cut about an inch or so off the sheild. the problem really isnt so much with the height of the sheild in my sight, I could live with that if the shield didnt have a small curve at the top that distorts your view. If the shield was straight, the view would be a clear transition from looking over top or looking thru it. Replacement Memphis shades is about $80, so if a glass shop charges me less, that is all the better.
Thanks for the help.

AK - make sure you mark the shield at the height you want. The ideal height should be 2 to 3" below the sight horizon, to allow you to sit up if it fogs over, or in heavy wind, lean forward to limit wind buffeting, or sit back when you want the wind spillover to cool you without beating you up...JMHO.

Back