free website stats program Windshield cleaning | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Windshield cleaning

Oddly enough, I have been using Pledge on an airplane for a long time before I even touched the Harley with it.

Pledge is the ONLY thing that I will use on the entire clear plastic cockpit canopy... so it is good enough for the Harley windshield?... ABSOLUTELY!

At home, I use a warm soapy water, rinse and then dry with micro towel. On the road I use Novus. It works extremely well and the bugs just melt off. As far as lens glass cleaner, it has way to much alcohol in it for my warm and fuzzy feeling. Take my word for it, I've cleaned more windshields and washed more bikes than many of you will in your life! :D

AND....just for you guys that hit bug country like we do out here, just before you go on a run for the day or in my case sometimes, the week, lightly . . lightly spray some PAM on the front of your bike. It's a natural oil and will not hurt the paint or otherwise. However, when you wash you bike, the bugs just fall off and makes your work a whole bunch easier. I've done this for years and it's awesome. Kinda like using Pledge. Another household product that works very well! :D
Ulgy John

lightly . . lightly spray some PAM on the front of your bike. It's a natural oil and will not hurt the paint or otherwise...

I knew a guy who did this with his old sportbike, as we would get quite a few large bugs riding on humid southern nights. A light rain shower washed the PAM onto his rotor and brake pads. Luckily, an accident did not result, but he did lose the use of his front brakes until we were able to get soap on the bike.

In my opinion, oils belong INSIDE the bike. Not on the outside.

Yeah, that's why I mentioned a light . . light spray. It doesn't take much to accomplish the job. I and others that I ride with have done this for many years without a problem one. But, if you go nuts and spay until the cows come home, you just might have a problem as you described and glad you mentioned it. Common sense goes a long way!
Ugly John

Yeah, that's why I mentioned a light . . light spray. It doesn't take much to accomplish the job. I and others that I ride with have done this for many years without a problem one. But, if you go nuts and spay until the cows come home, you just might have a problem as you described and glad you mentioned it. Common sense goes a long way!
Ugly John

Hey John... I heard that if you cover the whole bike in at least a quarter inch of baking grease, the police radar "slips" right off! :bigsmiley20:

I agree... if you use PAM, go VERY light... or just use Pledge. :)

Back