free website stats program Windshield/Batwing Fairing Noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Windshield/Batwing Fairing Noise

MGUNS 03

I have an 09 Street Glide. There has been repeated noise in the windshield/fairing area. Twice the braces have been broken inside of the fairing and replaced. Now the rattling (for lack of a better term continues. Additionally the CD player skips and scratches discs. I am not riding on pothole ladened roads. HD Dealership has had it for nearly two weeks and after persistance on my part they are going to "ride it" to see if they hear anything. Unbeleivable.
I am curious if anyone else has experienced the rattling issue on an 09 or any year model for that matter.

If so, what actions were taken to make it go away?

How does the bike handle, is there excessive vibration in the handle bars?? What kind of tires are you running?

I have an 09 Street Glide. There has been repeated noise in the windshield/fairing area. Twice the braces have been broken inside of the fairing and replaced. Now the rattling (for lack of a better term continues. Additionally the CD player skips and scratches discs. I am not riding on pothole ladened roads. HD Dealership has had it for nearly two weeks and after persistance on my part they are going to "ride it" to see if they hear anything. Unbeleivable.
I am curious if anyone else has experienced the rattling issue on an 09 or any year model for that matter.

I have a 2004 bagger with the same broken struts. These fasten to one of the speaker mount nuts on each side, right?
I have not bothered to replace them as I figured they would likely just fail again. The failure point is right at the thin spot near the outboard end.
You would think that HD would get enough complaints about these failures and redesign these to a beefier part.
I do not have the clunking problem however. Given all the stuff inside the fairing there are many things it could be.
Sorry I have no other ideas.
Rod

So how rought does you motor idle? my compensator was coming loose for close to 20-25k miles (my first Harley). engine shook pretty hard at idle. Shook fairing pretty bad. Dealer blamed it on crack in y pipe. Related noise from primary to loose primary chain, it wasn't. They replaced all 4 fairing brackets under warranty. but didn't ID the compensator problem. Following spring i went to adjust primary again and found worn out/streched chainand broken adjuster shoe. upon disassembly found comp nut about a turn from losing contact with compensator. After relacing worn parts the idle was real smooth for an "A" motor.

I have a 2004 bagger with the same broken struts. These fasten to one of the speaker mount nuts on each side, right?
I have not bothered to replace them as I figured they would likely just fail again. The failure point is right at the thin spot near the outboard end.
You would think that HD would get enough complaints about these failures and redesign these to a beefier part.
I do not have the clunking problem however. Given all the stuff inside the fairing there are many things it could be.
Sorry I have no other ideas.
Rod

They have beefed these up a bit. I changed mine on my 07 as they were broken. The new ones seem to be built better (stronger)

I just noticed a little rattle coming from faring. going to investigate will update when I find the rattle bug. Also did notice the front brake lever was one of the culprits

Back