nickp23

my road king had a memphis shade bat wing on it when i got it. it has a 7"
windsheild which is not tall enough the wind coming over the top hits me
about chin level. would a 9" sheild take care of this problem? they also
make a 12" but i don't like the looks of that. i though i would ask before
i spend the money on a new one.

thanks alot for any input.
nick

Not real familiar with the memphis shades batwing.Any shield you buy should be no higher than your nose, or what you can see over.Some have come up with mocking up cardboard to achieve a good hieght that still allowed them to see over.

I have a 6.5" Klockwerks and am happy with it.Some others realy like the Clearview recurve.Ive heard clearview will send you a shield to try out as long as you dont remove the protective film to ensue you get the correct hieght.

There are many posts covering shields on this sight if you use the search window at the top right.

Pics of the Memphis batwing?Are you happy with it?

I cut my old windshield down to 9.5'' and found a lot more wind , made my visor on helmet rattle and then the rock in the forehead made my decision to go back to stock height even though its ugly

My Dad taught me a trick that works pretty well. Place any object on the ground 25 to 30 feet from your front tire. Sit on the bike in normal riding position and look at the object. Have a second person mark your line of sight on the shield. This will be very close to the proper height. I bought a 9.5" CV recurve shield for my bike and am very happy with it (the recurve adds approx 2" to the height of the shield).

Robin from Clarks custom windshields told me MOST of thier customers (batwing fairing bikes) are happiest with a height that is level with your moustache area. That's how I ordered mine and am happy. I get some breeze at lower speeds, and the envelope raises as speed increases. 65+ mph, the airstream is just above my visor.

I use a 10" half moon dark tint, from Clark's Custom Windshield and it is just right for rider and passenger I have ridden it 20,000 miles plus on my 09 Ultra

I cut mine 2 inches short and ended up with too many bugs hitting my face. If your going to cut your winshield do it in 1 inch steps, then ride it for a day or two. When you are satisfied with the right height, take the time to smooth the edge.

If you are interested in the Clearview it is an excellent product and great folks to deal with. I am 6ft and I have the 8.5 inch recurve on my 09 FLHX. I ordered a shorter one at the same time ...dont remove the wrap on it and try it I sent the shorter one back no problems. The reason for ordering 2 sizes at the same time is the lead time was about 5 weeks at the time and this insures your satisfaction with first purchase....good luck.:s

thanks alot for all the in put. but seeing over the sheild is not an issue the
problem is to much wind in my face. would 2" make that big of a difference?

nick

Back