free website stats program Windsheild Height? | Harley Davidson Forums

Windsheild Height?

dynamike

I'm a big boy, so I like to have the 12 inch widnsheild on my touring bike. The shorty windsheild is too short. It's like the wind is funneled directly onto my face just below my eyes and actually blows harder than without a windsheild.

I haven't actually tried the mid sheild yet, but I suspect it will be the same as the shorty, 'cept right on my forehead.

Well as a shorter person the mid windshield on my bike does the trick for me. I am only 5'3 so I probably could have went with the shortie but I just liked the coverage of the mid height better.

I agree with fullthrottle. I'm only 5'2" so the mid windshield also works out very well for me. I wouldn't want my windshield any shorter though because I don't like riding in wind tunnels like dynamike said LOL

I'M 6' 1' TALL AND THE MID IS RIGHT IN MY LINE OF SITE i HATE IT.
Your either riding hunched over a bit to look thru it or sitting way up straight to see over it, if it wasen't brand new I would toss it and by the taller 1.

I'M 6' 1' TALL AND THE MID IS RIGHT IN MY LINE OF SITE i HATE IT.
Your either riding hunched over a bit to look thru it or sitting way up straight to see over it, if it wasen't brand new I would toss it and by the taller 1.

I had the same situation on my sporty and could not do anymore adjustment. Top was right in my line of sight. Solution?

If you feel comfortable doing this, it will work. If not and you know someone who is, let them do it.

Trace you radius outline onto a piece of cardboard. Masking Tape both sides of windshield. Set the templete of the radius onto the windshield at the desired height for you to be able to see over. Mark radius onto Masking Tape. You may have to slightly adjust the curve if you lower a lot. Take a Air or Electric powered Cutting Wheel Tool and SLOWLY cut the lexan windshield to the height marked on tape. DO NOT try to cut clear through all at once, as this will cause the lexan to over heat and melt. Cut just a small bit out at a time, then redo over until completely cut through. Sand edge smooth and remove Masking Tape.

A friend did this to his and told me how. I did it as well and was able to sit normally and see just over the shield.

Hope this helps you.

FM

If you have access to a sabre saw with fine tooth blade this works very good. Finish smooth with first 120 to 150 grit sandpaper then 220 grit. I cut mine several times until I got what I wanted. After riding for about six hours I shrunk and had to cut off another 3/4" Ha Ha

I have 2 windshields for mine.... stocker which is clear standard height which I look thru and the accessory one which is dark tinted which I can look over.
Overall I prefer the tall clear which breaks more of the wind and stops my sunglasses from vibrating around with the downside being a tiny bit of distorsion which I can live with.

I just bought a used Harley last week..1995 FLHTC.
So whats the ideal windshield height, above the eyes or just below them... My concern is, if the winshield is cut below the eyes , what happens if you get caught in a heavy rain.

Or is it just a personnell preferance

Dan

I just bought a used Harley last week..1995 FLHTC.
So whats the ideal windshield height, above the eyes or just below them... My concern is, if the winshield is cut below the eyes , what happens if you get caught in a heavy rain.

Or is it just a personnell preferance

Dan

From what I've read in the past the ideal would be to look over the top of the windshield. I think the idea of it has to do with rain making it difficult to safely see through the windshield. Personally I prefer to be able to look over, it gives me a clearer view ahead with no distortion but to each their own, depends on what your preference is.

Tom

Back