free website stats program Wind Speed | Harley Davidson Forums

Wind Speed

PeteRock

With hurricane on it's way, anyone have any idea on how much wind speed it would take to push over a Fatboy on jiffy stand with a cover over it?

Don't know, but if you don't have a garage for it, might be worth renting a storage unit for a month to weather out the storm in...or a buddy's garage.

It will take considerably less wind to turn it over with a cover, as the cover acts like a sail & will capture the wind. I'm not saying don't cover it, just cover it in a protective shed, or rental unit as suggested above. If that's not feasible than try to secure it in place via tie downs to the earth... something very substantial.

I doubt this is a well researched subject. If you can't find substantial protection from the wind, I would try to tie it down somehow, maybe throw several lines over the cover and stake it down..good luck, hope it gets through unscathed!

I understand your concern. We've got Irene heading up the East Coast. By definition alone hurricane winds, with the cover acting as a "sail" like Harry B said, will be forceful enough to possibly tip the bike over. Try to get it inside somehow. A friends garage, storage shelter for the night perhaps. Good luck to you.

Don't know how much wind but I would be more concerened with flying debris. A friend of mine with no garage made a treated plywood box with 4X4 skids on the bottom, put straps over the top attached to mobile home anchors it's been through several hurricanes and no damage to the bike.

Don't know how much wind but I would be more concerened with flying debris. A friend of mine with no garage made a treated plywood box with 4X4 skids on the bottom, put straps over the top attached to mobile home anchors it's been through several hurricanes and no damage to the bike.

That sounds like a very good idea and pretty easy and cost effective:s

As others have said, the cover will act like a sail and it won't take much to blow it over. Had a sports bike when I was much younger and had it covered but not tied down, it was knocked over by the winds during a somewhat strong thunderstorm. No doubt hurricane force winds would do the same to a larger bike.

Back