free website stats program Wind Buffetting and the Street Glide. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Wind Buffetting and the Street Glide.

I am 6 ft and I have a 8 inch clearview and love it. You can order two at a time say one 8 inch and maybe a larger one....leave the packing material on...mount it and try it out then send the one you dont like back. This way youll get it right the first time.

Dear Crzy Canuk,

With all due respect, you should have purchased a Roadglide.......

UH OH...let the model wars begin. I'm sure this response will get some rider/owner attn. Of course, I'm bias to the SG too although RG's are sweet rides. Cheers!

Hmmmmmmmm I was not trying to diss anyones ride for sure. SG's are sweet bikes. However when it comes to ride control, comfort, and wind protection the Roadglide is the best touring bike Harley has ever built.........Period.

Rideable????? Really?????? I have heard Ugly, Dated, Spaceship like, not enough standard storage to compete with the Electraglide. But certainly not uncomfortable or Unrideable.

Short of my old BMW1200LT (Awesome bike but NOT a Harley), I have never been on a more comfortable highway bike than the Road glide. The only time I had wind buffeting was when I lowered the bike causing the slipstream to distort around the fairing and tank. A quick lift up from the Legend Air ride system and it went completely away.

And to take an even more risky approach at offending someone. My buddy Mike weighs about 350 and his wife about 200, (Sorry Mike). They also have a Roadglide that Mike had complained about wind buffeting (but also said his Electraglide was worse). We found that their combined weight had changed the aerodynamics of the bike when their combined weight was applied. Had I not lowered my RG this could have been a mystery to all of us. Mike fixed the issue by adjusting the shocks and air preassure in the suspension system.

biglew55, give the RG another chance, I'm not saying you or your wife (If you are married) are overweight. I'm just going through the possibilities of what might have caused the issue with wind buffeting on a RG because I have never heard of this complaint on an RG where lowering of the rear suspension in one form or another was not the culprit.

I like the wind in my face on the ST, makes me feel ALIVE!!! Ha Ha Ha!

P.S. I already know I can't spell.

I have an 08 Electraglide Classic and at 6 ft tall, I look just over the top of the windshield, very little wind noise etc. , can hear the stereo and rides like a dream.

Rode my buddies 08 Streetglide and could not believe the difference. That short little windshield sure looks cool parked but on the highway, it was horrible.

Seems that the shorty windshield is designed to deflect all the windblast directly into your face.... Absolutely miserable to ride at higher speeds for any distance.

As much as I like the looks of the Streetglide, the shorty windshield is pretty much useless. One of my first mods would be to change out the windshield for the stock Electraglide shield...

Just my 2 cents ..... :D

I've got an 08 SG, am just a shade over 6', and sit rather tall in the saddle as well. I agree the OEM shield is worthless; couldn't keep my sunglasses on because of the wind blast.

After several tries, I've found that either a 9 1/2" or 10 1/2" Clearview shield w/recurve are my favorites. I've got both in the dark smoke to help maintain the SG's looks. I use the taller one in winter, and the shorter in summer. I tried a Cee Baileys. Under 40 mph it was great, and I loved the looks. Unfortunately, at speeds above 40 mph the shield didn't have enough rigidity to stay up, and caused the wind blast to hit me square in the eyes.

The other thing you need to do is like Dr. Doolittle says, get a fork baffle and adjustable fairing vents.

If you really want to cut down wind, and hear your tunes really well, you might try a Clark's Custom Windshield . I tried a 12" flat top on mine. It's great for blocking the wind, but I didn't care for the way it made the bike look. Extending the sides out like they do is a big plus, and it might look better if it wasn't as tall as I got.

I just sent for a Flip V Stream for my Street Glide today although not as tall as the original poster I will post what its like when I fit it.

I have a 2009 SG and have tried a BOATLOAD of windshields.
There are many choices, but the recurves and the shields that come back a bit (Cee Baileys) seem the best for me.

Once you get close with the proper fitting windshield, work on the air from below. I put my feet on top the hwy bars near the turn signals and noticed the buffeting dropped way down. So I made these funky lowers. I have nice ones now, the picture is the prototype.

Been over 110 and still smooth air around me.
Do you have a templet for what you made? It looks good. How did you attach it? Thanks. Russ

Hi Russ; Welcome to the forum. Harley makes something quite close to the deflectors you asked about. They are called fork wind deflectors, long chrome pieces that bolt to the forks.. I have them on my bike, and think they work well. Some people hate the way they look, I don't even notice them.

Hi everyone.
Took delivery two days ago of a 2010 FLHX & when I purchased the SG I told the Dealer.. "I dont want to be hit/kicked around by wind". So !!!! a large smoked windshield was installed. From where the screws are to the top it looks like a 12". I havent a clue off which bike in his showroom he took it off.

I'm 5 feet 10.5" tall. average fella.. When riding I find myself looking straight ahead THROUGH the windshield and not over it. By comments mentioned above by Smitty901 you should be able to "just see over it". When I sit up perfectly straight my eyes are right over it. But... I too slouch at times and end up looking through it. ** Am I doing things properly is my main concern.**

Wind "noise" is still there... but my face/body are no longer "hit" by wind. Windshields dont come cheap in Montreal & I dont wish to do experiments with $200 units that I can't return.

This is pretty much (almost) what I have.

Clearview Shields - for the best ride you'll ever see

I wasnt sure how to add a pic of my bike to this reply.

Im new here & to these types of Bikes so have mercy on me.

Rgds, Shawn (Montreal, Canada)

Back