free website stats program Wind buffet FXSTC | Harley Davidson Forums

Wind buffet FXSTC

FREEDOM-RIDER

Hello Riders,
I recently installed a quick-release windshield and notice that @55mph plus I get a head buffet. I have the short and standard size. Standard rides better however still has buffet. I had read that maybe a change of angle on shield or some other type of blocker on forks. Don't want it to look too spooky but would like a ride were I can read street signs.
I don't ride all the time with shield , but the bugs are big in Georgia.

Any ideas...
Thanks

I have an '07 Softail Custom and had the same exact problem. When I bought the bike I also bought the HD detachable, standard windshield. Going down the highway at 70 miles an hour the buffeting was so bad it blurred my vision. My heart sunk. All that money and I couldn't even ride the bike on the highway.

After much research I finally figured out that the buffeting was caused by wind coming from under the windshield, around the gas tank and up to my head. To test this out go down the highway and (carefully) take your left hand, palm down, and put if half way up your chest. If the buffeting quits it's coming from underneath the windshield.

My costly solution. I send the HD windshield back and bought a Switchblade windshield with chrome lowers. At the time it was the only solution for installing lowers on my bike. My buddy has the same bike and solved the buffeting problem by buying clear lowers from Memphis Shade. I haven't ridden his bike but the lowers I installed solved about 90% of my buffeting. I guess if you ride a motorcycle there will always be wind but at least now I'm happy with my solution.

Good luck and let me know if you need any more information.

Hi Guys,

I don't know if I have gotten used to the wind or not. It used to bother me but now I hardly give it a thought. It's not as bad on my FXSTC as it was on the 1200.

FR - I know what you mean about the bugs.

I also have the detachable windshield on my 2008 FXSTC. I too had a great amount of wind buffeting. After reading some other posts I made a set of 3/4" long brackets to move the lower end of the windshield out, changing the overall angle by quite a bit. I still get some wind buffeting, but it has been greatly reduced by changing the windshield angle. I have heard that mounting an air baffle on the lower triple tree will eliminate even more of the buffeting but I haven't installed one yet myself. We have a lot of road bugs here in Texas and with speed limits of 80mph they don't feel very good when they hit you... There are some posts on this sight that you should research to develop your own method of reducing the wind buffeting issue you currently are experiencing. Good luck. Ride safe...

I have an '07 Softail Custom and had the same exact problem. When I bought the bike I also bought the HD detachable, standard windshield. Going down the highway at 70 miles an hour the buffeting was so bad it blurred my vision. My heart sunk. All that money and I couldn't even ride the bike on the highway.

After much research I finally figured out that the buffeting was caused by wind coming from under the windshield, around the gas tank and up to my head. To test this out go down the highway and (carefully) take your left hand, palm down, and put if half way up your chest. If the buffeting quits it's coming from underneath the windshield.

My costly solution. I send the HD windshield back and bought a Switchblade windshield with chrome lowers. At the time it was the only solution for installhttp://www.hdtimeline.com/dyna_models/18291-wind_noise.htmling lowers on my bike. My buddy has the same bike and solved the buffeting problem by buying clear lowers from Memphis Shade. I haven't ridden his bike but the lowers I installed solved about 90% of my buffeting. I guess if you ride a motorcycle there will always be wind but at least now I'm happy with my solution.

Good luck and let me know if you need any more information.
there is a discussion regarding the buffeting and noise over on this dyna forum
http://www.hdtimeline.com/dyna_models/18291-wind_noise

Last edited:
Back