free website stats program Will the balanced motor last longer than the unbalanced? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Will the balanced motor last longer than the unbalanced?

Just a theory but....

When you think about it, the life of the engine just may be the same. The reason I say that is because a HD "balanced engine" is not really balanced. It's is an un-balanced motor that artificially made to look balanced by a counterweight. The stress and imbalance the crankshaft bearings feel is all still there. It is just being hidden. A truly balanced engine is Not the same as an imbalanced engine with a counterweight to make it look or feel balanced.

Two opposing imbalanced flywheels with their imbalance out of phase by 180* would feel balanced when spun, but the pillow blocks used to support the flywheels would still get chewed up in a hurry.

That my friend is a well thought out argument. I love my bike and wouldn't have anything else, well except maybe a Street Glide! Haven't missed my BMW and am looking forward to some great rides this year.

Because then you would think you were riding a goldwing. No one believes me but were are paying extra for the imbalance, the Potato, the vibration, a 5,500 redline, and Yes the Clank of the tranny. :p

If I can see anything in my mirrors below 70mph, I am not a happy biker.

Loping Harley engine has unbalanced firing order by design...whether it will last longer with built in balancer or without is actually a toss up. A balancer shaft assembly does add complexity and more rotating counter rotating mass, so I would say it was a wash...! Long living HD engines in both designs and HD R&D probably have done the research long ago...just ride!

Loping Harley engine has unbalanced firing order by design...whether it will last longer with built in balancer or without is actually a toss up. A balancer shaft assembly does add complexity and more rotating counter rotating mass, so I would say it was a wash...! Long living HD engines in both designs and HD R&D probably have done the research long ago...just ride!

Indeed, Icant see now more moving parts would be any better, since the MOCO does not really balance them when they build the motors and isnt that why we ride them

Absolutely!.. And I think that is why we are all here. If I wanted a sewing machine I would have bought a Singer.

Did you know there was a "Singer" motorcycle?So,Mr Hoople,i've got you covered.There's your next ride!:D

But seriously,what's wrong with a balanced motor?My XL500 single has a counterbalancer;my 595 Triumph 120 degree triple(which has a good inherent balance factor) has a counterbalancer and of course my Harley has a counterbalanced motor.And i'm glad.

I'm not a very good fan of rubber mounted mounted motors.I hate the way they move and nothing else does-except to fall off.I hate the way the rubber mounts fail over time,or have to be precisely re-torqued-and then fail.Harleys do this.My Holden car did this.
And of course,let us NOT forget THAT Motorcycle:the venerable NORTON.Fitted with rubber isolation mounts to make a big parallel twin bearable.Except the "Isolastic" engine mounts became "Elastic" engine mounts;and then if the bike didn't kill you with vibration,it would kill you with poor handling due to floppy motor mounts that were meant to to tie frame and motor together;but didn't.

Balanced Harley motors aren't THAT smooth.And at about 3000 rpm mine says "No more,or i'll make your hands numb,Mate".Which is fine because i aint been past those revs anyway.

PS:eek:ur sewing machine is a Husqvarna.He.He.He:newsmile090:

Did you know there was a "Singer" motorcycle?So,Mr Hoople,i've got you covered.There's your next ride!:D

That is Funny. I had no clue such a thing existed.. :p

There is nothing wrong with a balanced motor. Nothing at all. But I am also convinced of one thing.

If the Moco wanted to they could make an engine as smooth as silk. If they wanted to, the MoCo could also make a gearbox that sounded as if it was 1 seamless gear. And if the Moco wanted to I am sure they could make an idle so quiet you would need a tach just to know if the engine was still running.
And I also know the same guys who asked for all these "better" improvements would be the same guys crying "it don't sound and feel like my last Harley, what on earth is this,, How do I lower the idle.."

I bet if it was not for the EPA every bike the Moco built would still be a deep throaty Potato bike just like the old days. And I would be banging down the door wanting one. I will admit it and I know it is dumb to say but for me it is the image I love most and I will pay extra for it.

I bet if it was not for the EPA every bike the Moco built would still be a deep throaty Potato bike just like the old days. And I would be banging down the door wanting one. I will admit it and I know it is dumb to say but for me it is the image I love most and I will pay extra for it.

I couldn't agree more, well said Hoople!

Back