Will the balanced motor last longer than the unbalanced?

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by harleypr, Jun 2, 2010.

1. harleypr

harleypr Account Removed

I have an 09 Deluxe and was wondering if the balanced engine has a longer life span than the unbalanced. I know there is more complexity and a slight loss of power but it seems to me that the smoothness must account for less stress on the engine and also be easier on the rest of the bike. I am assuming that there are less problems with parts being broken from vibration than say on the Dyna's. Am I all wet and what do your experiences show you?

2. mvd00024

mvd00024 Member

I think the balanced engines would last longer too. Looks like less vibration would be lots better. Bet they are smoother hiding, never owned one but would like to.:D

3. walleye

walleye Junior Member Contributor

Normally you can expect about 50% life compared to a unblanced engine. This is worth it because you gain 50% in life in your hands due to the lack of "hand shake sydrome". :s

4. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Just a theory but....

When you think about it, the life of the engine just may be the same. The reason I say that is because a HD "balanced engine" is not really balanced. It's is an un-balanced motor that artificially made to look balanced by a counterweight. The stress and imbalance the crankshaft bearings feel is all still there. It is just being hidden. A truly balanced engine is Not the same as an imbalanced engine with a counterweight to make it look or feel balanced.

Two opposing imbalanced flywheels with their imbalance out of phase by 180* would feel balanced when spun, but the pillow blocks used to support the flywheels would still get chewed up in a hurry.

5. jaceddie

jaceddie Junior Member

I wonder why HD doesn't put the balanced motor in their top of the line UC?

6. glider

glider Veteran Member

Cheaper to make them with the rubber mounts:D

7. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Because then you would think you were riding a goldwing. No one believes me but were are paying extra for the imbalance, the Potato, the vibration, a 5,500 redline, and Yes the Clank of the tranny. :p

8. larryjmiller

larryjmiller Junior Member

Worth every penny!
    [​IMG]

9. jaceddie

jaceddie Junior Member

I have to agree!

10. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Absolutely!.. And I think that is why we are all here. If I wanted a sewing machine I would have bought a Singer.