free website stats program Will rear tire an from an 08 ultra classic fit ok on an 07 EG | Harley Davidson Forums

Will rear tire an from an 08 ultra classic fit ok on an 07 EG

Sgt York

I bout a complete rear wheel (disc brake, IDS, rim, tire) from and ebay seller that makes trikes.

I need a new tire and the IDS so my question is will the 08 EG Ultra assembly fit my 07 EC Classic?

Thanks

I took off from work today and just came back from Bumpus HD in Jackson to have the complete 07 EG rear wheel (disc brake, IDS, rim, tire) replaced with an 08 EG. Will not work. The axle is a different size.

Went ahead and had the tire from the 08 removed and put on the 07 rim, so the trip was not a complete waste.

Since the IDS from the 08 did not work I asked the service department to ride it for the noise in 5th and 6th gear. Was told I was luging the engine and that I should not use 5th until I was over 60 mph and 6th at 75 to 80 mph. On the way home I tried 5th at 60 and it was noisy as heck. Went into 6th gear at 60 and the noise dropped considerably. I guess the mechanic was wrong.

Back to The IDS again. Can I take the IDS from an 08 EG and make it work on an 07?

Thanks

What tranny oil are you using, and what mods do you have on the bike?
I'm running an 07 EGC same as you. I run Spectro platinum 6 Speed in the tranny and it is smooth and much quieter than with the HD oils.
Also I am set up with rush 2" slip-ons, a K&N 1499 in the stock modified airbox, and the IED's from Nightrider.
I am experiencing none of the lunging or lugging that some have complained about. 6th gear is usable at 55 mph, and when you twist the throttle from there, it picks up quite nicely with no bucking or hesitation. On a recent trip I averaged 42mpg running 70-75mph.
After 10,000 mi. I am finding absolutely nothing to complain about. This is turning out to be probably the best running, most comfortable bike I've ever owned.
Unless I see some drastic changes in performance, I'm not planning on doing anything but ride.

HI GS34. No mods except luggage rack added. Running Moble 75/90 in trans. Bike runs good and like you said, in 6th at 55 mph it will pick up speed good. It's the rocks in the can rattling noise that driving me nuts. It's really bad in 5th gear and not quit so bad in 6th, but still there.

I needed a rear tire and wanted the IDS to help with the noise so I got a complete new tire/wheel/rotor/and IDS from ebay that came off a 08 EG. The only thing I could use off this was the new tire. :(

The HD manual states to shif gears at 15, 25, 35, 45, and 55. I told the dealer this and they said the manual was wrong. Not to shift into 6th untill 75 to 80 MPH. I do not drive this fast.

This is driving me crazy. And I live in the bonnies so anytime I need to go to a dealer, I have to take a day of.

I really don't have any of that "rocks in a can" noise that I have heard some folks talk about. Guess I'm lucky. Just wanted to let you know what someone with a set-up simular to yours was experiencing.
Next oil change, you might try either the Spectro, or some Redline Shockproof in the tranny and see if that makes any difference in the noise.
Oh, and Welcome Home Brother!

I have a whine in 5th on my 08 RKC but i usually shift into 5th 50 or 55 and 6th around 60-65 since im usually on the xway to be going that fast

I have a whine in 5th on my 08 RKC but i usually shift into 5th 50 or 55 and 6th around 60-65 since im usually on the xway to be going that fast

I also have a whine in 5th, but that does not bother me. Its the rattling noise. I shift accourding to the owners manual. 5th at 45 and 6th at 55. The noise is alcmost gone in 6th. I can run 5th up to 60 mph and still have the noise.

Since the IDS from the 08 did not work I asked the service department to ride it for the noise in 5th and 6th gear.

Back to The IDS again. Can I take the IDS from an 08 EG and make it work on an 07?

Thanks

Did you by chance ask the wrencher this question?? Also I believe there is a post about the IDS here in the self-help section.

Back