free website stats program will plastic clamp resist the fuel in tank ? | Harley Davidson Forums

will plastic clamp resist the fuel in tank ?

fabrozor

Hi,

I had to put new standard plastic clamps to fix the fuel pump in the tank.
I don't know if the plastic clamps i put will resist to fuel in the long time.
Here is a photo of the bag of clamps.
p1030032t.jpg

My guess would be no. It takes special plastics to survive continuous exposure to fuels, fuel additives and ethanol. I doubt normal electrical cable ties would be made of such a plastic.

Hi,

I had to put new standard plastic clamps to fix the fuel pump in the tank.
I don't know if the plastic clamps i put will resist to fuel in the long time.
Here is a photo of the bag of clamps.
p1030032t.jpg

Do a little experiment. Tighten a ty-wrap around a small piece of pipe and submerged that in gas in a glass jar with a tight top on it. Stash that in the garage somewhere out of harms way and then eyeball it every month to see what is happening. If after 6 months the ty-wrap is still nicely tight on the pipe, dump the gas, through away the pipe and ty-wrap, and forget about it!!

TQ

While the nylon ties MAY work, why not use metal stainless bands not tightened too much, just enough not to slip or distort (or cut insulation or wiring) maybe even use some of the excess tubing in that picture to double insulate/protect contact areas. What was used before? Certainly using the HD tried and true method probably is better, and likely sustained by service bulletin if they found something better...ask you dealer to be sure if there was a modification to that replacement kit that maybe denoted how to clamp things back together.

Last edited:
Mine had black plastic "cable straps" HD p/n 10006 securing the pump to the fuel pump housing. When I replaced mine, I used some regular black plastic ty-wraps. Have had the thing in an out of there a number of times based on pin-holes in the convoluted tubing. No problems with the ty-wraps.

TQ

Back