free website stats program Will Not Start | Harley Davidson Forums

Will Not Start

Poncho

Motorcycle has been sitting for about 6-months, changed oil, new battery, cleaned carb. jets, the only way it will fire off is to use starter fluid, once the starter fluid is burnt off, the engine dies. No throttle response, or if you touch the throttle, it immediatly quits. Needing help real bad.

Check and clean petcock, check float level on carb, fresh gas

it has got to be fuel related check the stuff jack said but i see you pulling the carb off
try replacing the fuel first

Brian

forgot, did replace petcok, stock petcock had vacuum valve, I replaced it with a standard petcock and plugged the vacuum line.

forgot, did replace petcok, stock petcock had vacuum valve, I replaced it with a standard petcock and plugged the vacuum line.

Fresh gas and rebuild that carb and good to go,, todays gas destroys older rubber parts in the carbs JMO

If you put the bike away with E10 fuel and did not add StayBil to the fuel before-hand, the carb is gummed up. Happen to me on my Yammy. What a mess.

Easy way to tell, open the float bowl drain plug and drain contents in a clear glass...and "sniff". If it looks cloudy or smells like old varnish may want to try GUMOUT carb cleaner spray in the throat and float bowl...may also pull the CV diaphram, spring and needle holder assy being careful to note how it comes out and clean all the deposits being careful not to get the cleaner on the diaphram.

Go to the Self Help Tips and read once pertaining to CV Carb diagrams and tuning. You will have a pretty good idea on what to do if you have to disassemble further and map out strategy, the carb rebuild kit is $35 or so at the dealer. A couple #4 washers under the needle, check the jetting and you should be good to go.

Last edited:
After you get it running, if you are going to let a bike (or any other engined machine) sit for any period of time, put in some sta-bil and run it for a few miles,then, shut the gas off and run it till it runs the carb dry and dies on it's own. This will leave a small bit of sta-bil to coat the innards of the carb and keep it from gumming up the works so you won't have this problem in the future. The worst thing you can do to a machine is let it sit for any period of time.

What carb do you have on the scoot ? May have to replace the needle / jets due to corrosion/deterioration.

Back