free website stats program Will not start after riding until it sits for a while. | Harley Davidson Forums

Will not start after riding until it sits for a while.

cdublin

after you stop and turn key back on fuel pump dose not come on, engine will turn over but will not start. After it sits a while you can turn key on and if fuel pump runs it starts. I have replaced fuel pump, relays, fuel filter,fuel pressure regulator, and battery and cables. What do I check next.

I would check you fuel pump circuitry. It sounds like you loose power to the pump after shut down. Run/Kill switch should be good because you stated it will turn over but not start. no pump running. Do you have a service manual for it?
tourbox

I would check you fuel pump circuitry. It sounds like you loose power to the pump after shut down. Run/Kill switch should be good because you stated it will turn over but not start. no pump running. Do you have a service manual for it?
tourbox
Yes I have the service manual. You can power the fuel pump from battery to pump fuse but still will not start ( no spark).

How are you checking for spark? You must use a spark plug tester with the spark plug in the head for them to work. There is an ION sensing wire to the coil to sense compression also anti-knock control. No compression, no spark from what I've been told. If you have no spark until later then I would suspect the Crank Positioning Sensor.
Per your above statement "After it sits a while you can turn key on and if fuel pump runs it starts." and then you say;
"You can power the fuel pump from battery to pump fuse but still will not start ( no spark). When you supply power to the pump fuse the pump still does not run or it does with no Spark to the spark plugs? Have you tried to pull codes by way of the Check Engine Light. Your manual will tell you how. You can't get DTC's from the odometer for your year model. That was for '04 & later.
tourbox

How are you checking for spark? You must use a spark plug tester with the spark plug in the head for them to work. There is an ION sensing wire to the coil to sense compression also anti-knock control. No compression, no spark from what I've been told. If you have no spark until later then I would suspect the Crank Positioning Sensor.
Per your above statement "After it sits a while you can turn key on and if fuel pump runs it starts." and then you say;
"You can power the fuel pump from battery to pump fuse but still will not start ( no spark). When you supply power to the pump fuse the pump still does not run or it does with no Spark to the spark plugs? Have you tried to pull codes by way of the Check Engine Light. Your manual will tell you how. You can't get DTC's from the odometer for your year model. That was for '04 & later.
tourbox
I went to HD dealer they could not get any codes. they replaced crank sensor, no change. they ordered ECM. we will see what happens.

Back