free website stats program Will not Open (Harley-Davidson® Bar & Shield Logo Self-Locking Fuel Cap - 62803-97A) | Harley Davidson Forums

Will not Open (Harley-Davidson® Bar & Shield Logo Self-Locking Fuel Cap - 62803-97A)

Johnny_Deuces

09' FXDL has one of them HD Bar & Shield Logo Self-Locking Fuel Caps. I am really at witts end with this (EDIT) might be broken and never coming off or stuck some how. Anyone else ever have this problem whats the answer? I keep going back out into the garage doing 15 to 20 minute attempts...I have some time rapped up, almost ready to do the pipe wrench thing.
Had a shovelhead way back when had a dent in the tank from my boot cause it would not start (didn't start, foot hurt, felt good at the moment)...trying my best to avoid bring out the (EDIT) of my younger days to solve this one. No dealerships where I live.

Oh yes I watched youtube, and followed the steps....
Right Hand Threaded Fuel Caps
  • Insert the key. Hold the gas cap in place with your hand.

• Rotate the key counterclockwise until it will no longer turn.

• Return the key to the beginning position.

• Rotate the gas cap counterclockwise to remove.
(EDIT) I've even tried turning with key in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember the harder you try the be hinder you get......
How are you attempting to remove cap. It seem straight forward. Is key not turning. Better explanation will get better results.
Before you get to bent out of shape contact dealer for they may have a trick to remove cap for it seems that it is not unlocking. Once you get it remove I would just install the O.E. cap and forgitaboutit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a look here

Attachments

• locking gas cap.PDF
    72.5 KB · Views: 43
Looks like you have all the correct info for opening the stubborn lid. As was ask before is the key turning? If it is have you tried spraying a shot of WD40 into the lock? Not sure if you have a right or left handed cap but I'm assuming it's right. If you follow the PDF instructions on post #3 where in the sequence does it stop working? A little more info and I'm sure we can keep you from resorting to the bigger hammer or boot.

A little more info and I'm sure we can keep you from resorting to the bigger hammer or boot.
Member was on at 11:59 A.M. today with no follow up reply Don. Maybe he figured it out or just gave up......

It would be nice to know what the problem was or is. Maybe he was using the wrong key.

Back