free website stats program Will my ultra tip over if? | Harley Davidson Forums

Will my ultra tip over if?

wildey

Ok, I just bought a new back tire for my Ultra and im thinking about pulling my back wheel myself and reading everything I can find on it, at this point it looks pretty easy.

But my question is this. I have a J&S Jack, so with my Ultra on this jack and strapped down front and back will removing that back tire cause the jack and bike to tip towards the front wheel?

If so what do you suggest to get the wheel high enough off the ground?

Ok, I just bought a new back tire for my Ultra and im thinking about pulling my back wheel myself and reading everything I can find on it, at this point it looks pretty easy.

But my question is this. I have a J&S Jack, so with my Ultra on this jack and strapped down front and back will removing that back tire cause the jack and bike to tip towards the front wheel?

This is a good question. I would try to balance the jack the best I could to compensate, but the previous poster about securing the front tire with a block seems like a reasonable insurance policy. I am sure someone here will chime in and set us all straight. (Glider?) LOL!:p

Once the the bike is up , put something under the front wheel to support it.
I bought a 10" wide scissor jack designed for ATV's. Works for front and back end.
If you want to go the cheap route a stack of 2*10 or cinder block works well

Most jacks will support the bike with one or the other wheel removed without a problem but blocking up the remaining wheel will stabilize it better and make you feel more secure too.

the jack i use has d-rings welded on the base which is pretty wide jack it up tie it down never any problem:small3d015:

I can not speak for all the brands of jacks out there because I have not owned all the jacks out there. I can address the problem you suggest with the J&S jack though, because I use it.

With the bike up on the J&S jack, you can remove the front or the back wheel without experiencing any tipping. The support arms on the J&S are wide enough so you don't have to worry. I don't use any straps with mine and I spin it around daily to park in the garage.

Done this with my Yellow Sears Craftman jack. No issues. If the block makes you feel a little better do it, but in general the J&S jack is better then my Sears jack so I do not think you should have a problem.

I have the J&S jack and replaced the rear wheel this spring...guess you could say been there done that...

I didn't block it. I strapped the front end of the bike to the jack and it remained upright and stable...although, I didn't do any of the video/show antics they do either :s. If you want peace of mind, blocks would be extra insurance.

Last edited:
Back