free website stats program Will Dealer install parts I bring in? | Harley Davidson Forums

Will Dealer install parts I bring in?

Steve H

Hi all,

I have an '09 Electra Glide and have not asked my dealer, but wondered if they would install parts I bring in.....such as exhaust, if I have them do the stage one kit.....that sort of thing......

thanks

some will, and some won't. I think you would get better service from them if you bought the parts from them, since they're making more money off you. Like Smitty said A Stage one is a pretty easy install if you can turn a wrench, but if your not comfortable wrenching on your bike or just don't have the time to do it, your best bet is to go in and talk to who you want to do the work for you.

Hi all,

I have an '09 Electra Glide and have not asked my dealer, but wondered if they would install parts I bring in.....such as exhaust, if I have them do the stage one kit.....that sort of thing......

thanks

Steve,
Please do not take this as sarcasm, but look at it this way; does your wife buy her perm at Wal Mart and take it to her hair dresser? 30 plus years ago I owned a gas and service station. People would buy their oil elsewhere and then ask me to use their oil, instead of buying from me. Labor rate was double for this! If you feel confident, do what work you can yourself. You get a lot of satisfaction that way, and the money you save, means MORE CHROME!:)

Most dealers will, I would call them up and ask if I were to buy___ from you how much would it cost to install, then ask if I were to bring in the part that I want put on my bike how much would you charge. Then you would have an idea which way is worth it to you, like the others have said if you can wrench it go for it its a great feeling working on your own bike.

Thanks all,

I did call my dealer.......and they said they would......said they would rather I buy from them, but they would do the install........I am not much of a wrench guy, especially on a MC.......I plan to get the extended warranty at the end of the 2 year warranty and don't want them to say "sorry" you have had a bunch of work done.......I am new to this, and plan to ride this bike for a long time...........

Steve

Hey 9FLHR,

I didn't take it as sarcasim.......thanks for the analogy.....I totally get what you are saying.........thanks and can I ask a question........

I am thinking about getting some slip ons.........and would have the dealer install the stage one kit.....do you notice the bike running with anymore power........sorry if this is a beginner question......I am a beginner......LOL

thanks, Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
My dealership is happy to put on any part i bring in and the dealership that does all my work is not even the place i bought my bike from. But let me add this is my third riding season coming up and i store my bike over the winter at this dealership and over those two winters i've spent over 5 grand on upgrades and simple installs. but i do have to admit from the very first time i brought a part i bought elsewhere they were more than happy to install it'

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the points not listed here is the issue of liability of the intallation. Whom ever installs your exhaust will assume the safety and correctness of the installation. This is a big reason most marquee dealerships will not install tires bought by mail. No one knows how the tires were stored, etc. I think in this case the economy is lowering many dealerships standards to get business in their stores. Fossil

Thanks all,

I did call my dealer.......and they said they would......said they would rather I buy from them, but they would do the install........I am not much of a wrench guy, especially on a MC.......I plan to get the extended warranty at the end of the 2 year warranty and don't want them to say "sorry" you have had a bunch of work done.......I am new to this, and plan to ride this bike for a long time...........

Steve

Hey 9FLHR,

I didn't take it as sarcasim.......thanks for the analogy.....I totally get what you are saying.........thanks and can I ask a question........

I am thinking about getting some slip ons.........and would have the dealer install the stage one kit.....do you notice the bike running with anymore power........sorry if this is a beginner question......I am a beginner......LOL

thanks, Steve

Steve,

Got the stage 1 and slip ons done at the same time about 2 weeks after I rode her off the showroom floor. She was strong , but after the upgrades, I noticed stronger and quicker response. She breathes better too. On ramps and pulling the hills is another plus! Well worth the $. :bigsmiley12:

Back