free website stats program will cables reach w/ mini apes | Harley Davidson Forums

will cables reach w/ mini apes

murf

Does anyone know if stock HD mini apes, such as from a FXDB, will install on my FXRT with the same cables. 8" tall I think, 1" thick. Looking to get a slight elevation so I can sit up straighter. FXRT will have frame mount fairing on it.

Murf, have you figured out anything on the mini apes ? If you go with these, I would love to see pictures. I want to put some bars on my FXRS also, but want to see what I'm going to have to change.

Hey, 92FXRS. picking up the bike this weekend and will be checking into getting the fairing, bags and tour pack on it. My pastor says he's got 2 sets of mini apes and I can have one. I don't want to go too tall, just want to sit a little straighter. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Don't think I'll make it to Cherokee as they're still running tests on me and it seems I'm the only one with a sense of urgency. Well, thats VA for ya. Not complaining too loudly as it's free.

Basically, you have only about 2-3" at most, slack to play with from stock before you have to figure on adding wiring extensions, throttle & hose mods. I would go with extension upgrade kits that usually have all the stuff you need. Go to J&P Cycles or others for the exact fitment, after you determine approximate length you need. :s

J&P Cycles | Motorcycle Parts and Motorcycle Accessories

Just installed the H-D mini-apes on my FXDC yesterday (pictures are coming soon).

I changed:

1. Clutch, throttle, idle, and brake lines. (I know the clutch cable would not have reached... but I replaced all lines to the Diamondback braided - used the stock lengths for a FXDB)
2. Turn Signal Relocation.

I did NOT need any electrical wiring extensions and routed the wiring through the handlebars. It was my first time doing such a thing, and the whole process took about 6-7 hours.

Good luck!

JDPEagle, good call, routing the wires in the bars saves an additional 1 to 2", just enough apparently. BTW for those of you who drill holes for the wire pass-thru, make sure you angle drill for smooth entry, chamfer the edges that taper inwards so the wire insulation is not grooved or pinched in anyway when feeding them through and assembling. Also make sure you disassembe connectors carefully, if possible with the proper pin removal tool to not distort the retainer finger retention system.

Back