free website stats program Wife too scared for 2up | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Wife too scared for 2up

A wise ole mentor to me who has been riding Harleys for over 50 years and had many touring machines, advised me of this...(in his gentleman southern drawl)..."now Randy, if yer wife ain't comfortable, ya ain't gonna have uh good time...."

That just sums it up Randall. As you describe it I can almost hear him say it :D

Hey cedarbrook63, I rode pillion once on the back of a mates sporty many years ago, with me not being the happiest of passengers, (the not being in controll thing) but after my FXSTC, I felt totally exposed and quite uncomfortable being on a smaller bike and being so much higher from the ground. Admittedly, pillion seats are higher than the riders seat on the entire range, but the sporty is quite small compared to the other models.

Anyway, good luck with your progress, and gently, gently. :)

Thanks TW. She won't have anything to compare my Sporty to as she hasn't ever ridden pillion so hopefully that won't be a problem and if anything - once she's tried the Sporty, she'll like the bigger bike more once I eventually get one. Gently and steady as she goes........

Steady on lads. I haven't ridden an Ultra myself yet and it's a few more $/£ than a RKC. Perhaps the Ultra is the best ride of all; it seems to be the view of many on this site. I can't comment personally as I haven't ridden one and to each their own but I just love how the King looks and even when I get my One and Only on pillion and she's happy, I know I'll still spend most of the time solo in all likelihood. I think there is more versatility in what you want to do with the King - pack up for a long trip or strip her down for local runs or around town.

Thanks TW. She won't have anything to compare my Sporty to as she hasn't ever ridden pillion so hopefully that won't be a problem and if anything - once she's tried the Sporty, she'll like the bigger bike more once I eventually get one. Gently and steady as she goes........

Probably very true. After working on her gently for four years I got my wife on the back of my Sporty. She liked it but was really uncomfortable. Bumps, our helmets banging, etc.. Since I got the Heritage she comes up with places around town we can go just to be on it. And the best thing for me is that she is the worst back-seat driver in on the planet when we're a car. On the bike she never says a word about my driving.

:D Let me predict the responses from the Ultra owners (like myself!):

The RK is a FINE bike! In fact, a FANTASTIC bike!

But add a few creature comforts, (and you don't me to list them, all the other guys will), and TAKE OFF the "pizza box" when you're not doing any real traveling, (the quick de-tach kit has relegated a great many tour-paks to the garage, never to be seen again), and you have everything the RK offers and more! :D

Note to all the RK guys:

Yes, actually, in very many ways, the RK is a completely different animal, and my insinuation that they are only differentiated by a fairing and tour-pak is silly. Just having fun here! Either bike is, in a word, WONDERFUL, for 2-up riding. But I have to also point out that if you haven't ridden an Ultra, don't believe based on looks it is only a 2-up machine, and a long-distance runner at that.

With the TP off the bike and a low-slung seat and back rest for the passenger, it's as sleek and comfortable to handle and easy to maneuver as any of it's "smaller", (used only for lack of a better word) brothers!

You know what Richard? You've prompted me to be open minded about the big bike I'm going to get :D. Before I do anything, I'll test ride an Ultra and see what it's like. One thing I know about myself which is different to you and a lot of the guys is that, although I love to listen to music and do in the cage when I drive, when I do the three outdoor things I love most - riding, sailing and skiing, I avoid music. I love the immersion in the sound of what I am in, the rasp of snow or ice, the wind and the waves or that lovely rich "potato, potato, potato" and doing so without distraction. But that's just by the by. Before spending big money on my next bike, I really should try them all.
Then I can buy my King :lolrolling:lolrolling

CB...I agree, I like the sensations and "raw" HD sounds and sensation when I ride...in fact...scary as it seems, I found even with short baffles and essentially straight pipes, I find it a lttle bit "sedate" when coming to a complete stop when riding in town. I really like the song when speaking to me one potato at a time.

i bought my sporty a sissy bar today also, makes wife feel better , i think it'll look good aswell!

Back