free website stats program Wife says it's too windy! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Wife says it's too windy!

Dr. D.; I put the fairing wind deflectors on my E.G., I don't know how they affect the passenger, but I like them. Mine are the adjustable Freedom Wings brand. I can easily direct a flow of air to my torso. The thing I like best is in the closed position, I get less "mist" behind the fairing in rain. I don't really mind the rain, it's the mist that impedes my vision. When taking a long trip, I also put the ugly chrome deflectors on my forks in case I hit rain.

Dr. D.; I put the fairing wind deflectors on my E.G., I don't know how they affect the passenger, but I like them. Mine are the adjustable Freedom Wings brand. I can easily direct a flow of air to my torso. The thing I like best is in the closed position, I get less "mist" behind the fairing in rain. I don't really mind the rain, it's the mist that impedes my vision. When taking a long trip, I also put the ugly chrome deflectors on my forks in case I hit rain.

Thanks for the recommendation. Just looked at the Eglide Goodies website and they have these Freedom Wings deflectors at a pretty good price, cheaper than HD, that's for sure. I've gotten a couple things from their site so I know they're a good company.

How was the installation? Do you leave them on year round? Does the friction lock hold them in the fully closed position at all speeds? Watching the mini-video made it look like they'd blow right open again at highway speeds.

Installation is a snap, takes about 10 minutes, just pull the plastic plugs out of the innter fairing, and screw the supplied phillips head screws in. They operate with one hand, and stay at any position up to the 85 mph that I have been. They might loosen up with age. Yes I keep them on all year, because I can direct a strong flow of air to my torso when it's hot, plus for the mist deflection when it rains. Plus, I think the smoke deflectors look good with my black cherry paint.

My 09 has fairing deflectors on them from the factory and I love them. I'm like an oven so when it's hot out I love being able to direct the wind at my torso. So far they seem to stay in position at highway speeds. I think they are definitely a good investment.

Why don't you change to a shorter wife!
Dave
I've gone from the stock windshield (a joke on the FLHX) to a 6 1/2 inch Clearview with recurve to an 8 inch Clearview with recurve. The 8 inch is just about perfect for me. However, my wife was riding with me the other day and we were doing 70ish on the highway and when we stopped, she was complaining about how windy it was on her head. My wife doesn't come with me that often so I want to do everything I can to keep her happy. I'm not going to get any taller (to block more wind) and she's not getting any shorter so we're stuck with her head being slightly above mine when we ride due to the seat design.

Has anyone gone even taller with a Clearview style windshield and gotten most of the buffeting to clear the passenger's head? How tall did you have to go? The next size up is 9 1/2 inches but I doubt if another inch and a half will improve things that dramatically. Although I did notice a difference stepping up from 6 1/2 to 8 so maybe it's worth a try.

I may end up with a whole collection of windshields to swap out depending on what type of ride I'm doing!

The 6G tank is a bit wider, so when you go full lock, the Freedom wings could make contact with the tank.

I also like the design of the HD ones better.

Can anyone verify that this won't happen with the HD deflectors on a bike with the 6 gallon tank? Can anyone verify that it DOES happen on the same bikes with the Freedom Wings brand? I'm all for buying HD stuff but if I can get equal quality and performance for half the price, well, that's a no brainer.

Thanks Biglew. Your opinions will be highly weighted in my book, as always!

:cheers

Well, I ran down to the dealer today and got the HD Adjustable Fairing Air Deflectors that Biglew recommended. Took all of 10 or 15 minutes to install. Hardest part was removing the 8 screw hole covers with my fingernail free, "Fred Flinstone" fingers.

They look really nice and well integrated. Can't say yet what they do for deflecting air away at higher speeds - have to take a ride later with my wife and let her decide if there's any difference. I did do a neighborhood cruise at 25MPH up to 50MPH with the deflectors open and wow, do they throw some nice, extra air onto your upper legs and torso.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Doc,you have had a few days now.Did the fairing deflectors help out the wind problems your wife was having?

Back