free website stats program Wife says it's too windy! | Harley Davidson Forums

Wife says it's too windy!

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
I've gone from the stock windshield (a joke on the FLHX) to a 6 1/2 inch Clearview with recurve to an 8 inch Clearview with recurve. The 8 inch is just about perfect for me. However, my wife was riding with me the other day and we were doing 70ish on the highway and when we stopped, she was complaining about how windy it was on her head. My wife doesn't come with me that often so I want to do everything I can to keep her happy. I'm not going to get any taller (to block more wind) and she's not getting any shorter so we're stuck with her head being slightly above mine when we ride due to the seat design.

Has anyone gone even taller with a Clearview style windshield and gotten most of the buffeting to clear the passenger's head? How tall did you have to go? The next size up is 9 1/2 inches but I doubt if another inch and a half will improve things that dramatically. Although I did notice a difference stepping up from 6 1/2 to 8 so maybe it's worth a try.

I may end up with a whole collection of windshields to swap out depending on what type of ride I'm doing!

Dr.D.; I like riding with a 10" on my Classic, but the wife likes the 12" on the few times she goes along (neither are recurves). I found some good prices on ebay, seems like I'm always change'n a windshield.
TIP; don't tighten w.s. screws too much, the brass barrel will break loose in the inner fairing (don't ask how I know).

I had the same problem on my bike with the 8" Clearview w/ recurve and I did move up to the 9.5" recurve and now Momma is happy. Worked for me. I asked Clearview for a blem and got a great shield for $75, still haven't found the blem. Those folks are great and their shields are awesome.

there's an idea. someone needs to come up with a quick change feature for windshields!

Why not get the taller shield and simply drill a second set of holes at the 8" mark.Looks to me like theres a couple of inches of play there.Could even slot them.
The wifes on, losen and pull up the shield.Shes off,losen and lower.

have you tried putting a face shield on her helmet. i did for my wife and she loves it. lots cheaper

Are you still running the stock seat?

Nope - Sundowner seat.

I had the same problem on my bike with the 8" Clearview w/ recurve and I did move up to the 9.5" recurve and now Momma is happy. Worked for me. I asked Clearview for a blem and got a great shield for $75, still haven't found the blem. Those folks are great and their shields are awesome.

I was on their website shortly after I started this thread and I think I'll do the same thing - get a taller shield cheap as a blem just for when she's along.

have you tried putting a face shield on her helmet. i did for my wife and she loves it. lots cheaper

She was already wearing a face shield. I think she's reacting more to the buffeting than the actual wind.

Hey guys,

I've just had my 09 ultra for about 3 weeks now and the way I sit I look right through the shield, how tall is the factory shield or how does one measure it. I would like to get one about 2-3 inches lower.

I put the adjustable fairing deflectors on mine after a friend suggested it and that took the wind off my wife that we thought was coming over the windshield.

Not sure how much she rides, but the stock seat would sit her lower. Something to keep in mind if a taller shield doesn't cut it.

I could only go back to the stock seat for short rides. No way that thing goes back on even semi-permanently!

Hey guys,

I've just had my 09 ultra for about 3 weeks now and the way I sit I look right through the shield, how tall is the factory shield or how does one measure it. I would like to get one about 2-3 inches lower.

Measured from where the shield meets the fairing. Clearview's website also has an area about how to measure. I would tape some thin cardboard of the appropriate height onto your current windshield and then sit on your bike on a level surface to ensure it's the height your looking for. Cheaper to cut up a bunch of cardboard then to have to order multiple windshields to get the right one.

I put the adjustable fairing deflectors on mine after a friend suggested it and that took the wind off my wife that we thought was coming over the windshield.

Hmmm.....might have to try this first.

Back