free website stats program Wierd Idle, Sound & Hesitation | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Wierd Idle, Sound & Hesitation

I don't think I have ever seen a "sitting" battery show more than 12.9 volts. Running down the road, my Electra Glide voltmeter shows somewhere in the mid to high 13 volts, maybe a little higher. 18 volts is way high, I'd check the meter on a car to see if it is correct.
Now I'm seeing that your bike is a Police model, I wonder if something was disconnected wrong when it was decommissioned? I feel your frustration.

18 volts is way to high, you are correct a fully charged battery would be 12.7 volts, on a charger you could expect to see around 13.4, re check your voltage with a good meter

I don't think I have ever seen a "sitting" battery show more than 12.9 volts. Running down the road, my Electra Glide voltmeter shows somewhere in the mid to high 13 volts, maybe a little higher. 18 volts is way high, I'd check the meter on a car to see if it is correct.
Now I'm seeing that your bike is a Police model, I wonder if something was disconnected wrong when it was decommissioned? I feel your frustration.

I would think so if I had these problems before, I bought this bike at a dealer that deals with all of chicago and all of wisconsins police motorcade. I have seen dealer chop jobs done on these bikes, but I went over it realy well with the dealer and a mechanic that was there and it is done correctly, and is nice. I got home to late today to run to a shop for parts and they are not open tomorrow. I will recheck the voltage meter using my truck battery, then retest the bike battery if the truck registers good. Thanks guys I am truly thankfull for all replies.

If the voltage across the battery terminals goes above 14.7 volts with the bike running at any revs the battery will cook and very quickly become useless
I would suspect a faulty regulator if the voltage is high

Brian

18 volts is way to high, you are correct a fully charged battery would be 12.7 volts, on a charger you could expect to see around 13.4, re check your voltage with a good meter

I used my voltage tester on my truck, with it not running and it was reading at 15.25 volts. My truck never gets much higher than high 14.'s, so its the tester. Thanks, sometimes when my bike fruststates me I dont think about checking the tools we are useing to see if they are correct. Getting a new tester tonight.

If the voltage across the battery terminals goes above 14.7 volts with the bike running at any revs the battery will cook and very quickly become useless
I would suspect a faulty regulator if the voltage is high

Brian

I havent tested it with the bike running, only sitting with no load on it. I have recently discoverd that my tester might be faulty because its giving high readings on other batteries also.
Thanks

Hey Guys,
Sorry for the delay, I have been super busy with work and working on bike any chance I had wich wasnt much. I got it all back together and she's running great so far. I found a short in a wire, and a bad intake gasket. Put it back together and it ran good, then spit and hiccups. I yanked the programmer and had a download installed and what do ya know it runs great, smoother ,and cooler. I didnt post every five seconds due to not wanting to give useless info. But its running good, and now its on!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for all the help and advice everyone.

Good for you Rhys. Glad you got it sorted out. Enjoy!

Way to stick with it and congrats on sorting it out. Thanks for getting back to us.

:s Good on you, did you ever get back to checking the charging system?

Back