free website stats program Wierd Idle, Sound & Hesitation | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Wierd Idle, Sound & Hesitation

Maybe your IAC cleaning which was done with the ignition on might have pulled the battery down. You might consider taking the battery to an auto parts store to have it load tested.

Open circuit battery voltage is usually a good indicator of potential battery integrity but a load test is best. A battery measured in a open circuit condition should be at 12.7 volts to be considered 100%. 12.6 volts is considered 75% but it should turn the starter over if your connections are tight.

Here is a bit of info on batteries...

Harley Davidson Forums

Another possible thing to try is a jump start of the bike. Be careful when jump starting. Follow this tip carefully. The automobile must never be running if you must use this option. This will destroy the diodes in the voltage regulator/rectifier and this component is expensive

Harley Davidson Forums

DUDE,
I did not know that!!! I was going to try to jump it, I actually feel a little better. You probablly just saved me a costly repair, THANK YOU!!! I dont know if the guys at the parts store can test a bike battery correctly. I looked at the links and my charger is was to large, I have every tool that you would need for a large truck, or to fabricate but no small trickle charger. Maybe its the battery. I wont be able to run it in till tomorrow, I live way out in the trees. THANKS DUDE!!!!:newsmile059:

turning over a few times slow and then refusing to turn over would lead me to believe your battery is low. 12.7 volts is correct voltage for a 100% charged battery with no load. Perhaps the load is the problem. If your starter is malfunctioning and drawing too much (bad brushes...) or has a short it will kill the battery quickly and won't start. I think the battery could be low but the culprit may be your starter or other electrical malfunction.

Please don't replace the starter or battery on my recommendation or that of anyone else on this forum. Have the battery tested under load. If it's fine then move onto testing other components of the charging and starter system.

I'm charging the battery now. I looked at all the self help ideas you guys gave me and I found a old 2amp charger, might take a little bit to charge but I will post as soon as I get it back in the bike and try starting it.

UPDATE:::::
Guys I belive I need a new battery, I put it on a five amp charge for 35 minuets. It charged it out of the bike, and it was at 15.00 on my voltage meter but would drop a point every second "14.99-14.98-14.97 and on and on" when my trucks start doing that we replace the battery because they start dying when the sit. It did fire up and I rode it for a bit and it did not solve the problem, it did stop the idle from moving iratticly up and down 100 rpm's "from 900 to 1000". But it still has that spot in the throttle and when you come to a stop it idles at 1000 and then drops to 800 rpm's and dosnt sound good through the pipes, its kinda a "whalf-whalf-whalf sound" then it idles back up to 1000 rpms and sounds strong for about ten seconds and back down. So I know a battery is on the list, and more investigating. So what do yall think.
Thanks again guys, I feel better knowing yall have my back.

If it is misfiring it could be the Crank Sensor. One of the links I gave previously talked about the Crank Sensor and the testing of it.

Thanks,
I seen that post and have looked at it and I am looking to see if any oil will drain when removed. I'm getting ready to call parts store to see how much one will cost just in case. I dont know if I would call it a miss per say, almost like its loading up and then going to die but it dosnt die, and if you give it alittle gas while its doing that it will kinda pop and idle right up and then drop back into running like its going to die a few seconds later. But I am looking at that link that was sent then going out to check. Thanks a ton " I'll BE BACK"

A good read....

Just for grins.......take a look at your throttle body shaft. Mine drove me to drinking before they found it. Irratic idle, rough ride, intermittant. sounded like it was firing on one when i hit "X" rpm's.

Good Luck

Rhys; If you are gonna buy a new battery, a couple of things that may save you some $$. Some chain auto parts stores are selling batteries for Harleys. A good brand is Deka, made by East Penn Mfg. You can also find them on line shipped to your door for about $110 in 2-3 days. There's other good batteries out there but East Penn is the supplier for HD factory, and the price is right.

Rhys; If you are gonna buy a new battery, a couple of things that may save you some $$. Some chain auto parts stores are selling batteries for Harleys. A good brand is Deka, made by East Penn Mfg. You can also find them on line shipped to your door for about $110 in 2-3 days. There's other good batteries out there but East Penn is the supplier for HD factory, and the price is right.

I do need a new battery, mine is slowly loosing its charge. I did pull the crank sensor and it was clean, I did not check the voltage on it because of the battery. I wouldnt figure that a low battey would allow that to read correctly enuf to be able to say its good or bad. I got a guy that said he will let me use on he has untill I get a new one, so as soon as I go grab that one I will get right back at it. Just waiting for him to get off work.

I just orderd a deka battery, the one I barrowed wasnt no better that what I'm working with. So its the waiting game. Also I have been looking in the self help area at sensors and such, is there a area that talks about what problems the sensors cause when acing up or going bad? I would just like to read up on them.
Thanks guys, just waiting on a battery then I will get started again.

OK guys, I havent got my battey yet. I did go out to tinker with it and just so happens that my battery is above 12volts, its sitting at around 18. Took a few sensors out, crank sensor and O2 sensors and cleaned the O2's a bit with sensor cleaner, and checked as many connectors as I could. Some of them were dirty so I cleaned them up and put some di-electric grease on the rubber on the connectors and looked for kinked or twisted wires. The bike fired right up, it runs the same but when I took it on a real short test drive it has it hessitation lower in the throttle, just barely off idle. I am really leaning towrds a sensor. But the question is what the battery should have in voltage when its just sitting. I have read the self help on how 12.7 is considerd charged and 12.6 is 75% and so on. So how high can it get or should be sitting with no draw? And what should it be with the bike running? One more 12 hour day at work and then I will start the tear down on it.
Thanks guys, I am thankful for any and all info!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back