free website stats program Wierd Idle, Sound & Hesitation | Harley Davidson Forums

Wierd Idle, Sound & Hesitation

Rhys

Whats up guys,
I fired up my roadking the other day and rode about 15 miles to a buddys house. Bike sat for about a hour then I pulled out and was running down the road and got a diffent sound from one of my pipes. I came to a stop and when I pulled off I have a bit of a flat spot/hessitation with a steady popping sound at a little less than a quater throttle in any gear. You can put the throttle above or below that and the sound and hessitation stops. So I just went home and thought, I might have put a low grade gas in "I cant remember". So today I go out and add a bit of octane booster just in case. I fired it up and was getting my gear on and while it was idleing, it made a click noise and the bike idled down real low and made that weired sound through the pipes like it was loading up or choking, then it snaped right out of it and ran fine. I jumped on and road a quater mile and it started making that noise through the pipe with the hessitation in the same spot on the throttle wich is anoying because its kinda my cruise spot at lower speeds. I turned around and went home, stoped and shook the bike back and fourth to make shue the octane booster was mixed up. I got off and let it run for a minute, and you could hear the idle drop like it was going to die along with a different sound comming from the exhaust" not the normal plop-plop-plop harley sound", like I saidd it was like it was loading up or something. The bike did it twice whie it was sitting within about a two minute idle period. It was enuf of a different sound that my wife come out to ask why it sounded different. So some info on my bike, its a 07 police roadking with a 103 motor and 6-speed trans the only motor mods are a set of Vance & Hines longshot true duals. Still has stock breather and all that stuff, no go fast stuff the 103 does good enuf. So what do Yall think, I pointed my finger at it and told it to knock it off but it didnt listen so I need some help.
Thanks to everyone in advance!!!!!!
Lets getter done so we can ride!!!!!!!

Did you pull the spark plugs for a look see? Could just be a fouled plug perhaps. Have you changed anything or performed any work on it recently?
WAP.gif

I'm pulling the plugs in just a few, waiting for it to cool a bit. I havent had no recent work done to it, havent touched it yet. I will get right back with you on the plugs though. I did how ever replace them in september of 2012, wouldnt think they would have fouled or worn out already. But ya never know.

Ok, I just pulled the plugs and they look like normal wear to me. They are not wet and they dont have a fuel smell. They do have a bit of that light tan hashy color on the very top where you gap them. Also one of them is a little bit darker inside on the ceramic part that surronds the electrode and the other one is white. I know someone is going to ask if any code poped up, I dont know how to check it for codes, I know it has a port on the front of the frame.

Maybe a dirty Idle Air Control (IAC). Take a look at this Self Help Tip...

Harley Davidson Forums

If not the IAC you could have an intake leak.

Sweet Idea, I will pull the breather off and give the IAC valve a look this morning and clean it up regardless if it needs it or not. I just got a new can of sensor cleaner from the parts store. I said in a earlier post that I changed the plugs, But I was wrong. I changed the plugs on my softail not the roadking, oops! I am going to grab a new set today. So im headed to town to get a set of plugs for it in just a few, then I will throw them in and clean the IAC valve and update. Cross your fingers guys we might get lucky:newsmile073: Also, I am going to try to learn how to check for codes as stated above.

Last edited:
Have your ignition switch on and twist the throttle while you are squirting the cleaner in the hole. That makes the IAC servo open and close. If you stuff a white rag behind the butterfly, you will be able to see the black stuff that comes out. Spray a few times.

Quick Update:
I found a few things here. I put the plugs back in differnt holes just to see if it would change anything. It did have that wierd sound but not as bad, It did however fluxuate the RPM's up and down pertty steadily a 100 RPMS up and down. Just 900 to 1000 back and forth. I checked for a intake leak with my automotive stethascopes and there was no his or suction at any RPM. I checked the codes,"I got it on the first try" amazing! But it said none. And then PN 34562-07 scrolled across the bottom, dont know what that is. I pulled the breather off, and looks like one of those oil hose that go to the breather is cracked, gasket between the breather and throttle bodie is shot but was sealed, and the filter"wich is stock" could be replaced but it wasnt terrible. I cleaned out the throttle bodie with a clean shop rag and throttle bodie cleaner"it was dirty, but not neglected dirty. I cleaned the IAC sensor, it didnt seem to bad. I am leaving to go get plugs, gasket, and a filter in a bit. I will install them and fire it up and repost results. Can that little rubber hose that goes from that head bolt to the breather cause problems?

I was just gonna suggest vacuum hose to the throttle body. Glad you found it. I would replace the hose, spark plugs and air cleaner. Then check the torque on your exhaust bolts where they attach to the cylinders and ensure your O2 sensors are seated firmly in the pipes.
One more question. Do you have a fuel control device on the bike?

UPDATE:::::
Well I have returned from the dealer/parts dept., I got new plugs, filter, those breather hoses, and a new filter gasket. Before I left I checked for codes, cleaned the throttle body with a rag that was wet with throttle body cleaner, sprayed some into the hole where the IAC valve/sensor is, I even twisted the throttle a few times while doing that like it is stated in a post above. I installed the new plugs, breather, hoses, and gaskets. I backed the bike out the door to fire it up and do a test run and it wont start. turned over a few times real slow and now the starter just engages and dosnt turn over. The voltage is 12.6 just sitting. I looked for loose or diconected wires, rechecked for codes "there was none", took the leads off the battery to see if that would reset it. Nothing, wont turn over. I am absolutly lost and frustrated!!!!!!! So I just have no idea, its never had any starting issues and has allways turned over really strong, even today right before I started this. I am just at a loss here, I just dont get it. Well whats next guys?????

I have been looking in the self help section, Starter engages but motor will not turn over, pulled the plugs and its getting fuel, GURRRRR!!!!!! I seen a section about crank sensors but that stops it from firing not turning over is what Im under standing, Im going back out to check voltage at the grounds. I dont have a security system that I know of, but when you turn the key on there is a little red key next to the speedo, but its allways been there and goes away after a few seconds of switch being turnd on. Could checking the codes have locked it up, I dont know.

Back