Wide White Wall Search

Discussion in 'Wheels' started by UncleRon, Feb 10, 2008.

1. UncleRon

UncleRon Member

I'd like to put wide white walls on my '04 Heritage. Would appreciate hearing from any of you who have the wide white walls. Which brand , handling , milage , sources ,etc. Also, if I go with a brand other than what the dealer offers, have there been any problems getting them installed ? ( I will do many things myself but not tires )
    Thanks.
    Unk

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

I have the wide whites on my RK made by dunlop (402's). Many say that they find Metzler a better tire but the compound is a bit softer which is said to give better handling and the mileage suffers because of this.
    I have no problems with the dunlops.

Here's a link that is supposed to have good tire prices, however check with your dealer first if he will mount a tire that they don't sell you. It will vary from dealer to dealer.

Also check into the dunlop K591. It's supposed to have a deeper thread for a touring tire and should give you better tire mileage.

- American Motorcycle Tire

3. UncleRon

UncleRon Member

Thanks for the link. I'd planned to check with the local dealer. If worse comes to worse, I may check with some of the metric shops . Thanks again.
    Unk

4. dodomrkc

dodomrkc Member

Dont know where you live, but there is a chain out there called "Cycle Gear", mostly sell metric bike stuff, but they do sell HD Dunlops for about 1/3-1/2 the price of your local dealer. And if you can get the wheel off of the bike to take in, they will mount for around $30.00 US.
    I did this last fall for my fron tire, the local dealer wanted right at $300.00 ($165.00 for the tire) for the tire and mounting. Got out the door at Cycle Gear for $129.00 ($99.00) for the tire, no issues. Saved the difference for some other stuff.