free website stats program wide glide | Harley Davidson Forums

wide glide

rydahog

so i may be ready to pull plug on this 01 wide glide..with 20k..uner $5k price,.i was wondering what basic thoughts on this bike are,,its carburetor,,,that is one of my concerns? looks like great shape..what should i look for other then test ride,.reliabality/ etc...thanks for any help/

Sounds like a good deal. I personally would rather have a carb bike. Not near as much problems to diagnose problems. Listen to the motor/primary/tranny real well. Listen at cold and normal operating temps. Should shift smoothly, up & down. At 20K the cam chest should be good.
With the carb. as you change things,IE pipes,a/c, cams, big bore?, it is easier to change jets then buy a tuner of choice and reprogram. Most tuners you can do the tuning yourself, but much more involved.
tourbox

I agree with Tourbox. Love the Keihin CV40 which is what I assume is on the bike. Easy to tune. Find out what jets are in it. Has the fuel-air mixture screw been uncovered? That year is a TC, right? So you may need to ask about when the last time the cam drive chain tensioners shoes were checked. If never, I would put that on the list right away to check out. If recently, I might still want to take off the nose cone for a peek. Only cost you a new gasket.

Tires? Stage 1 upgrades (free flowing air cleaner and pipes)? Last time brakes were done (fluid changed out and pads checked)? When was front fork oil changed? Is ignition system stock or aftermarket? Stock cams or upgrades? Inner cam shaft bearings changed out from INAs to Torringtons? Neck bearings lubed?

Whatever you find out is just better knowing. May not impact your decision, but you will know a bit more about the bike that way.

Cheers,

TQ

tourbox and TQ have it pretty much covered on what to ask or look for. An 01 with that low of miles seems like a good price.

Good luck and keep us posted on your decision.

+1 on Tourbox's response. I am partial to the carb as well. I wouldn't let that stop ya.

Another vote for a carb. on a 2001. That year fuel inj. is obsolete and few know how to work on it anymore.

thanks all..i will take ALL this into consideration if i get it..or similar..i will post back for sure,,whatever..:)

Here is another vote for a carb
Must be all the old guys who grew up with carbs that like them :)
East to fix and tune can be taken apart and fixed with some simple tools ;)

Brian

I've got a W.G. I wish they still had that 2001 rear fender.The bars and seat were better then too.They are 16 grand new,to find one under 5g's with 20k on the clock is something I would jump on.

thanks all,,as you can see (avatar) i got this bike,i have a really knowledgeable mechanic that is helping me get this bike safe and reliable haha, but so far it seems to be fine..i want to do the maintenance things,,flush brakes,,etc,,change out fluids..brakes etc,,,,other things are cosmetic..i only have to really add windshield, bags, and a sissy for 01 dwg..? so if anyone has any leads on these,,drop me a pm..i dont want to get NEW stuff with this old a ride..so old good condition is fine. will post soon as i can with new picts.

Back