free website stats program Why We Are Hard To See | Harley Davidson Forums

Why We Are Hard To See

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
Sorry if this has been posted previously but I found it elsewhere and thought it was pretty cool. Good example of why people can be looking right at you and not see you. Make sure your volume is turned up and don't anyone give away the secret after watching it - let everyone enjoy it!

DOTHETEST

I was pulling out of the neighborhood this morning waiting for the light to change or a gap in traffic to make a right on red. There was a fair amount of traffic mostly in the left lane but some in the right where I was turning to.

I am taking my time and really watching and all of a sudden there is a bike in the right lane coming towards me. It was a black softail and the rider was wearing dark clothes and no helmet. This was 6:30 am and it was light but the sun wasn't up yet.

The guy was riding near the center stripe and his headlight was more or less lined up with the dark car in the left lane. I honestly did not see him at first even with the 7 inch head light but no passing lamps. Maybe it was just my poor eyesight but I was shocked.

It may not do any good but I usually weave slightly if I have traffic coming towards me where I think someone might pass or if I see someone who might turn into my lane. My thinking is the slight lean should change the angle of the headlight somewhat.

Well! That will certainly make me think twice, about putting on my Genuine Harley Davidson bear costume, the next time I go riding!!!!!

Smitty, I think you may be on to something brilliant. Some kind of a beacon or strobe on the top of a helmet would really get us noticed!

Back