free website stats program Why the VRSC is designed like this? | Harley Davidson Forums

Why the VRSC is designed like this?

ugocon

Day after day I'm investigating about this interesting model by the MoCo.
Day after day I seem to be convinced that is a great bike, worth the money and capable of great satisfactions.
But...
There's one thing that really cannot understand:
  • why did they put such exaggerated forward controls that dramatically (IMO) limit the enjoyment that this great bike could give to the pilot???
:newsmile040:

Recapping:
  • the engine is simply great in power and torque
  • the water cooling fits perfectly this type of bike
  • the style is stunning
  • the overall quality of the bike is at a very high level
  • performances in acceleration are beaten only by Yamaha V-Max and very few others.
  • the frame and its geometry cannot be considered the best for winding roads, but with a good practice and helped by the engine performances, can be more than satisfactory

THUS....

.... Why the driving position is set in way that the pilot is literally hanging from the handlebar, grabbing it desperately to counteract the resistance of air when running at even a "moderate" high speed?

IMO the driving position for this bike is absurd.
Driving fast for a long time is a torture, but while this is acceptable for a Fat Bob, with a similar position but not designed to be a power monster, the stunning performances of the Porsche engine are suffocated by a very limited range of practical use despite their potential!

Ok, just let's find a mid foot peg kit....

...the problem is that the mid position has simply not been foreseen by the designers (and not available as an HD accessory).
You can find some kits on the market but their final look when mounted also reveals the effort to find a "hole" where to stick the foot-pegs!!!

Reading articles around, I see that the V-Rod has never been considered a "real" Harley by many (not all of them) of HD pilots.
It's a shame, because, even if the engine is a German project, the bike is fully HD as soul... even too much because of those extra advanced foot-pegs! :s

Unfortunately, the main purposes of this bike as it is manufactured now are, IMO:
  • leave others behind when traffic light turn green
  • show off and exhibition when parked in front of a bar
Too little for a potential masterpiece! :(

Please comment: I'm curios to know your opinion

Ciao
Ugo

There was a year and model of the V Rod that did indeed have mid foot controls. It was a poor seller and was dropped. Ask you parts man at a dealership if they will fit a late model. Fossil

you need to understand that this engine is not a german project per se as to it being a german design. the engine is a harley engine period. willie g wouldnt be to happy hearing you say that. the vrsc engine was brought to germany to the Porshe factory by agreement because they had the only dyno in the world that could hook up to this engine and conduct testing in the manner that Harley wanted it tested. The only involvement Porshe had was to help refine some parts that were not holding up to the stress of the simulated audobon runs. In fact ,did you know that vrsc engine was tested for 500 hrs on the simulated audobon runs, that is 500 hrs straight! No other motorcyle company has ever dared to put their motors to that test, yet. the chassis final design had to wait till testing on the engine was satifactory enough to go ahead and complete.There is a 2 hr special on the Discovery channel that was dedicated to this bike, because there were so many new design features biult into this bike. I believe it is still available at Discovery channel.com cheers everyone!:D

Ithink it evolved out of the VR1000 race program and was intended for the european market first, then to get the kids off the imports and on a Harley with some punch JMO

It could be interesting to see if Harley does in fact build a spin off with the vrsc engine for the euro market they did with the xr series recent re release.Some real lobbying by the euro riders could make it happen.

The show that aired a few years ago about the design of this bike is a "Must see". There were years of design into this bike, and everything on it has a specific purpose. If you get a chance to see it, you wont be dissapointed. It really did change my outlook of the bike, and then when I had a chance to demo one, I was hooked. This is my "someday 2nd bike"

Its too bad the VR1000 never hit the mark, and too bad the Nova project never went into production. I think The MOCO is having second thoughts now

The Nova Project!
You're right: the water cooled V-4 engine never entered in production.
Here is an interesting article about this project.
BTW... in the Nova the position of the foot-pegs is appropriate to the power. :s

And yes, the engine is not German but designed by HD in collaboration with Porsche.

The European lobbying could be a good idea to push the evolution of this project: Hobbit? :)

Ciao
Ugo

also being the Vrod frame is made up of bolted components so the engine can be easly serviced ,you can buy the older B style mid frame rail parts giving you OEM locations to add mid pegs and controls.this is a very easy way to obtain mid pegs and or controls to a new model A , DX or Muscle model.As any Harley Davidson you will be making changes to suit your needs wether you own a sportster or a Ultra there is always modifications you will want to due ,I believe the MOCO calls it " Making it your own".

Back