free website stats program Why is this illegal ? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Why is this illegal ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
FBI reports list as much as 50% of all motorcycle parts sold on ebay are stolen that includes new stuff.
Another lager part is repacked used stuff and fakes packed as name brand parts.
Real bad news is the arrest very few.

Remember a while ago a lot of the stolen bikes were getting shipped across the pond, it was hard to get parts then and some guys made a killing doing this

Rebuilt, salvaged or wrecked bikes are rather difficult to register just like home made trailers in some states. You must provide bills for all the parts that were used in the assembly of the bike etc in order to get it registered otherwise anyone with the urge to be dishonest would just rob parts and build a bike or trailer and go register it in their name with a valid title. This title thing varies from state to state with some states being more difficult to do this than others.

In some instances or states a MSO (Manufacturers certificate of origin) is needed to register a frame or engine to build a custom otherwise you are out of luck until you can prove where it came from.

Thats the way it is here in Mich, I built a trailer from scratch and when I went to register it I had to take in all the receipts, have a cop give it a safety inspection take that paperwork back to the secretary of state, pay the fees and get my title, Oh yeah had to have it weighed too

I knew a lady those husband was killed at work, with the money from that she bought a NEW RV from a dealer, paid cash, 6 months go by she see 2 guys outside her house acting strange, calls the police...find out they were the police and they were checking out her RV. It seem the dealer give her an incorrect title, being it was new it wasn't checked out very good. Found out they did this many times, sell one then after a few months they would steal the RV take to another place with a clean title....some people just like to mess with the systems.

Either the OP edited his original post or everyone here is mis reading it.

"If anyone has a Clean titled 95-03 sporty frame. get back at me "

Looks to me all that he was asking for was a clean frame along with its title so that he could move all his parts, from HIS wrecked bike, over to it and have a bike that doesn't have a salvage title. I don't see anything wrong with that. The engine won't match the frame but I know in MD when you register a bike you have a box for the frame number and a separate box for the engine number. As long as he registers the new frame correctly it should be fine.

Lots of if and and buts here.

If the OP had a title for the wrecked sportster which he didn't mention to prove ownership, assuming of course that it is his bike, then he wants a clean titled frame to move his parts to and make a legal bike. That's my take on it and it was his one and only post too.

Lots of if and and buts here.

then he wants a clean titled frame to move his parts to and make a legal bike.

Exactly. So, what is wrong with that? He would have to get the title for the new (used) frame transfered to his name. People do this all the time with vintage quads. When they get wrecked they find another frame from a quad that was just run into the ground and transfer their good parts to it. As long as he can find someone that had an old sporty they are parting out who has the title to the frame I would think it is perfectly legal to use it to rebuild the bike. I understand that comparing ATVs to motorcycles isn't quite the same since you have to deal with the DMV to transfer the title but I don't think what he was trying to do would be illegal.

I was sitting here wondering what the outcome of DangerDan's situation, and if he ever got the bike Legal.... anybody know.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back