free website stats program why is my voltage regulatoe smoking | Harley Davidson Forums

why is my voltage regulatoe smoking

Make sure if you replace the regulator it is grounded good

Oil drippage?

Bad stator?

Shorted rectifier(s)?

Excessive load?

Bad regulator?

Conductive bits from the primary found their way into the stator area?

Good luck,
Rich P

Have you changed the oil recently? If so maybe you have oil on it, or you oil filter is leaking. And that oil is burning off once the motor warms up.

Give the Primary oil a SNIF Test... BURNT smell and Color BLACK means Stator is probably toasted too...

I Never replace on or the other...... I usually go for BOTH replaced at the same time.

You can just replace the Bad unit tho... I found that the OTHER half of the Equation not replaced went BAD very soon for me...:eek:

ALSO: check to see IF an abundance of Oil leaked by the Catcher when changing the oil Filter out Causing the SMOKE like mentioned above...(good Call SledDog)

I have had the rubber electrical boot - right under the oil filter (early Dyna) Fill with oil before from careless oil filter change... and drip out onto the Regulator AND Mark my spot for parking... :mad:

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited:
All wires and electronic items have smoke in them,
It's when the smoke is let out we have problem's

All wires and electronic items have smoke in them,
It's when the smoke is let out we have problem's
That is so very true. If they could just figure out a way to keep that smoke in we wouldn't have very many problems.

Back