free website stats program Why is my Voltage Reg. failing yearly? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Why is my Voltage Reg. failing yearly?

I am working on 1994 Heritage ST. I have replaced the Regulator 3 times in the past 6 years. I have used both HD and after market Regulators.

I am going to check the coil and the wiring well as go over the entire bike over the winter. I just wanted to know if anyone else had an easy answer that maybe I was missing.

I appreciate all of your input! Thanks for the tips.

One other reason that will put a regulator in constant overtime, is a voltage drop between the regulator and the battery. Your bike should have a main self resetting circuit breaker. Replace it with new, or better yet a Maxi-Fuse. If you keep the current circuit breaker configuration, replace the eyelet crimp connectors on both sides.
Run the bike for a while, then feel the circuit breaker. I bet it is warm to the touch caused by a voltage drop. Just a little bit will force the regulator to be under constant strain.

See Attachment. Follow the positive output lead of the regulator. It goes to one side of the CB. The other side of the CB goes to the positive of the battery. That 30 amp CB along with the crimp eyelets can eat you up .

Attachments

• Voltage.pdf
    727.4 KB · Views: 28
One other reason that will put a regulator in constant overtime, is a voltage drop between the regulator and the battery. Your bike should have a main self resetting circuit breaker. Replace it with new, or better yet a Maxi-Fuse. If you keep the current circuit breaker configuration, replace the eyelet crimp connectors on both sides.
Run the bike for a while, then feel the circuit breaker. I bet it is warm to the touch caused by a voltage drop. Just a little bit will force the regulator to be under constant strain.

See Attachment. Follow the positive output lead of the regulator. It goes to one side of the CB. The other side of the CB goes to the positive of the battery. That 30 amp CB along with the crimp eyelets can eat you up .

Hoop, my friend, you are a veritable fountain of knowledge So glad to have you on this forum.

Nice call. I do seem to remember a bit of problem for folks, due to CBs.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back