free website stats program Why is my Voltage Reg. failing yearly? | Harley Davidson Forums

Why is my Voltage Reg. failing yearly?

wer1964

Hi, new here. I have a question that I can not find an answer to: Why is my Bike going through voltage regulators? I have been replacing it approx. every 16 months? Stator checks ok. Definitely the voltage regulator. Has this happened to anyone else?

Any suggestions or information regarding constantly replacing the VR would be appreciated. Thanks!

More information please.... Do you let the battery go dead and jump start it? Are you using a battery maintainer? What voltage is the battery charging at? From the maintainer if used and the regulator itself?

And to add to SledDog's questions, have you opened up the Primary and inspected the stator to make sure that NONE of the coils are burnt? I have had a stator test OK and even put out appropriate Vac increasing correctly as the rpms increased (no load) with THREE burnt coils!!

TQ

can't recall but one of the manuals have you test the stator when bike is hot to show intermittent shorts. had a stator showing good until I performed the tests while hot.

Also, what kinds of load do you have on the electrical system?
  • Additional lighting
  • Air horn
  • Audio system

Sometimes you can have a worn insulation somewhere in the wiring harness.

Sometimes you can have arcing at one or more connectors in the charging system.

Good luck,
Rich P

SledDog - I do not use a battery maintainer. The voltage is charging at 14dc with a good regulator.

TQuentin1 - Stator tested ok, but maybe have a burnt coil as you said happened to you. Will check that out. Thanks!

Ribeye - I did add 2 running lights (1156 bulbs) to rear lighting system.

I appreciate your replies. I will check on the Stator for the burnt coils.

Any additional information or suggestions is appreciated. Thanks again all.

Any additional information or suggestions is appreciated.

You never mentioned what year bike your trying to fix. Are you working on the Avatar 1994 Softail?

Are your replacement regulators Genuine HD or aftermarket. I can do the math but I want to hear it from you. How many new regulators have you installed.

You never mentioned what year bike your trying to fix. Are you working on the Avatar 1994 Softail?

Are your replacement regulators Genuine HD or aftermarket. I can do the math but I want to hear it from you. How many new regulators have you installed.

I will tell you this, if indeed your bike is an older softail you need to check the ground and stator plug, also an under charged battery will kill your regulator

Have to agree with Jack here, I have a '94FLSTC and keep it on a maintainer. Also the ground is so important and the plug does loose proper contact over time. I have never replaced an alternator that I didn't also replace the stator. I've replaced both twice since '94 and both times the stator checked good untill warmed up.

I clean off & sand contact area of regulator to mount use .finger washer to get good contact . Told this by HD mechanic

Back