free website stats program why is my King not starting? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

why is my King not starting?

Take the battery down to Autozone and have them load test it for you, that's a easy fix if your battery is munched.. On my 02 Standard after it died the first time it started and ran for a day before it quit again, I wouild let it sit for awhile then it would start again and run for a few minutes and die again. I paid 58 bucks for the crank position sensor and R2 it myself the biggest pain was taking the connector apart and pulling the wire throught the conduit and then pulling it back through again. I had 71000 miles on mine when she went and I had no codes.

thanks to everyone's replies. This is very helpful. thanks Toby, i am in Oklahoma near enid. I will try to find out what part is bad first. i dont' feel i can replace the sensor on my own. but now...........i was about to push it up on the trailor and decided to see if it would run to drive it up. It started right up like nothing was wrong! Drove it around a bit, turned it off, started right up again! letting it sit for an hour or so to see what happens. Does this confirm what's wrong to anyone?

at least i feel it's something more minor to repair. glad i didn't spend bookoo $$$ driving to tulsa now.

I had simlar problem with my 01 RK, from one day to the next it wouldn't start it would just crank with an occational back fire, the next day it would start like nothing was wrong, this went on for a couple of weeks until it didnt start at all and never had a code. my problem was the crank possition sensor.

4th of July weekend is coming up & it is only 600 miles, sounds like a good ride. Glad you got it running. Electronics can do some crazy things. Did you try to pull some codes? Do you have a manual?

Toby

I had simlar problem with my 01 RK, from one day to the next it wouldn't start it would just crank with an occasional back fire, the next day it would start like nothing was wrong, this went on for a couple of weeks until it didn't start at all and never had a code. my problem was the crank position sensor.
On my 2000 fxds I went thru 2 crank sensors over the time I owned it.. My symptoms were, Good battery, Hot day after lunch trying to start it, it ran for a second Died and then started and popped a few times. By that time, battery was down..

High compression bike motor and needed full battery to crank.. Charged battery but never started again... Replaced the crank sensor and YES..

Story goes like this.....

I lived in Az. and got STRANDED in Lordsburg NM..3 hours away, via free way.

This Guy, VINCE, I was told did a little bike repair on the side, getting his phone number, I called. He came out and offered His assistance, I asked how much to trouble shoot at his place?? He said not much, Just Helping you out.. I knew I would pay him for his time though... we Loaded the bike, Trailering about 4 blocks to his Old wood garage and trouble shooting it to be the crank sensor and Not the coil as I had thought. No Parts around that little town.

Tomorrow being Sunday, OFFERED me a trailer back to AZ. borrowing his dads new truck, as his might not make it.

Wanting to be careful as to What He'd Charge???? Knowing I was at his mercy...
I asked him how much to trailer me there, he says 50$....

I responded rather loudly 50 BUCKS???? You gotta be crazy....

He responded "well if that is to much and you don't have it, I'll run you back home for free..."

NO WAY I said.... I'll pay you 150$ and Gas and that is MY final offer....:newsmile093:
Both laughing now...

So IF you are Ever over in Lordsburg, Look up VINCE and His Shop LORDSBURG CYCLEWORKS offering tire and oil change specials and More..

I'm planning to stop by there soon and Thank him again. This has been about 4 years ago so I'd like to see his Shop..He is NOW a certified HD mechanic.

Thanks again Vince, If you are reading this..:D

signed....BUBBIE

Checked the battery, cables, connections, plugs, and it's all good. taking it to the local service garage tomorrow. thanks for everybody's help. i'll let you know what happens.

King 2000, there are several indy shops in Enid and a Harley dealer in Stillwater who might be more convenient than going all the way back to Tulsa. There are also 2 big outlets in the OKC metroplex, one in Edmond, and one on Reno west of downtown near the Home Depot and big WalMart. Also one in Moore, but that is getting pretty far away again.

Story goes like this.....

I lived in Az. and got STRANDED in Lordsburg NM..3 hours away, via free way.

This Guy, VINCE, I was told did a little bike repair on the side, getting his phone number, I called. He came out and offered His assistance, I asked how much to trouble shoot at his place?? He said not much, Just Helping you out.. I knew I would pay him for his time though... we Loaded the bike, Trailering about 4 blocks to his Old wood garage and trouble shooting it to be the crank sensor and Not the coil as I had thought. No Parts around that little town.

Tomorrow being Sunday, OFFERED me a trailer back to AZ. borrowing his dads new truck, as his might not make it.

Wanting to be careful as to What He'd Charge???? Knowing I was at his mercy...
I asked him how much to trailer me there, he says 50$....

I responded rather loudly 50 BUCKS???? You gotta be crazy....

He responded "well if that is to much and you don't have it, I'll run you back home for free..."

NO WAY I said.... I'll pay you 150$ and Gas and that is MY final offer....:newsmile093:
Both laughing now...

Wow, you don't find many people like that these days, but it sure is nice when they come along. That one out of 1000 makes up for the other 999. Everyone out for themselves these days, and not many willing to help out just for the sake of helping out. Good job Vince!!!!!! :cheers

Yeah, that Vince guy sounds like a great person. Too bad their are not more like him in this world. I'd like to think I would help out a fellow brother biker too! Anyway the symptoms King has sure sound like the crankshaft position sensor to me too. I had the same problem and that's what it was. Good luck!

Back