free website stats program Why is my bike harder to start after priming? | Harley Davidson Forums

Why is my bike harder to start after priming?

ImaRider

If I wait until the fuel priming stops my bike is harder to start when hot than if I try to start it during the priming sequence? I have checked the battery and it is up over 12.94 v, turning the lights on for 15 seconds and checking again it is 12.43. When the bike is running the battery is 14+ volts.
Got gas yesterday, waited for the priming to stop and it barely turned over. Shut it down, waited a few minutes and tried again only this time during the priming and it started right up. Battery is only 3 yrs old and kept on a tender.
Just concerned I might get stranded somewhere.

When I go to Batteries+ tomorrow ( all the local dealers are closed) and if they find a bad battery should I have them replace it? Asking cause I am not sure how a disconnect affects the security code? Will I have to put it back in?

That is good to know. I wasn't sure I would want them changing out the battery if I had to insert the code in their parking lot. Thanks Tank

Replaced the battery in 2012 flhr this past Thursday,it liked two days being two years old.Most times it wouldn't start the first try,I talked to service department at local HD dealer and he tried to tell me to check the battery, but I didn't want to believe that .I hate when someone I argue with is right.

UPDATE
I went to an indy this morning that actually had time to check my battery. He put the load tester on and we started up the bike. Needle went way low almost to nothing. Just running the charging system seemed to be doing its job. But the overall health of the battery was marginal I could see that.
Old battery was brand new in October 2010. Indy said heat probably more than anything cooked the battery. We have been having some very hot temps and in the shed was even hotter for the bike. $124.95 installed, new HD battery. At least I won't be getting stranded on the side of the road now.
Thanks guys for your help!

Good Deal, Harley Davidson Forums Have you checked this link , not a bad follow up and it will keep you familiar with what to expect should you encounter such a problem again:s Thanks for checking back in and good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Back