free website stats program why is it were treated like kings when we buy the bike | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

why is it were treated like kings when we buy the bike

I traveled out of my area to buy my bike because the local dealers didn't have what I wanted. Don't know if that's got anything to do with this story. I took my bike to the local dealer for the 1000 mile service. I didn't realize how long it takes to get in for service and I got on the schedule just before a weekend trip. I wanted to be sure I got my bike back in one day and talked to the service manager, she said if I drop off the day before there should be no problem. But the service writer had a different idea, he also had a little chip on his shoulder. He saw to it that the bike wasn't ready until the next day. I did not complain, I would not want him to possibly loose his job. I figure that I am not the only customer in the world and they are not the only Harley dealer in the world. We don't really need each other. I take my bike elsewhere now.

The thing to always keep in mind with dealers is it is a business and no matter how nice and friendly they may be (genuinely, or to your face) they are there to make as much money as they can. The smart ones (and well organised) balance this with customer care they give a bit as they hope to get your business in the future. When dealing with sales I do my research and then now my price, when dealing with service I take into account they probably get lots of crap off riders who maybe don't understand the problems or that they might have caused it. However, I expect a decent level of service and some customer care and if it is not me who caused the issue that it is fixed under warranty. If I don't get it then they don't get my business in the future. Bad customer service is really (edit) annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:
The dealership here in Raleigh, Ray Price, is a great dealership for the most part. The people are very friendly and the atmosphere is one that is welcoming and inviting. A lot of riders just show up there day to day and hang out and socialize. I really like the dealership and regard is as one of the best I've seen.

However, that doesn't mean it's perfect. Sometimes, particularly when dealing with service and parts, it seems like you are bugging them or wasting their time when asking about things. And what gets me most is when you actually WANT to spend the money it takes to get something done and you feel like you are pestoring them like they'd rather be doing something else.

I just ordered a set of new pipes on my bike, and I had to keep asking if they were in. Each time I was told it was still a backorder. I ended up going in this past Monday and asking about them again. He acted like he didn't know when they'd be in but he could "take a look" for me while I was there. It turned out they actually arrived that past Friday, but nobody bothered checking them in or placing a call to let me know. Who knows when they would have done so if I wasn't there asking.

But overall, it's a great dealership and the majority of the people there are very nice and helpful. But nothing is perfect. Just gotta make the best of things and do as much research about things before going to the dealer for their advice or you don't know what you'll get.

I am in the middle of two dealerships and the same distance from both. Man O War in Lexington Kentucky and the Knoxville Tennessee dealership. Both have always been very nice in my dealings with both. My bike was purchased in Texas so I have only used them for parts. They are now building a dealership in London Kentucky which is exactly in the middle of both of these. Hope they are as accomadating as Lex and Knox.

I've been in to Dillon Bros Harley in Fremont, Ne (Where i bought my bike) a number of times prior to purchase, and a few times since to ask questions about maintenance, etc....so far the experience has been all good. The people there are happy to chat, offer advice, etc. Many friends deal with them on purchases / repairs and i have yet to hear a complaint (other than cost.....but that is a gimme.....)

All dealers have their faults it's hit or miss. But there are always enough riders out front to give the real deal. Take a poll from these guys some are just hanging out for the BBQ :lol...before you bring your bike in talk with the folks outside it worked for me!

I did not buy my bike from the dealer that is 3 miles from my house because of the treatment I received there. I've gone back a couple of times for parts because of convenience as opposed to where I bought my bike, and continue to be disappointed. I actually got into an arguement one day with the parts guy because I didn't think he was selling me the correct part. Guess what; when I got home he had sold me the wrong part. Fortunately it was a very inexpensive item and it wasn't worth my time to take it back and deal with the perceived incompetence.

I'm in a customer service position, and do not care to deal with perceived poor customer service. If a store wants my business, I expect them to be courteous and professional.

Sounds like you need to find another dealer . Here in coonass country (Lousiana ) I have six dealerships within a hundred mile radious some are better than others recently they built one about 8 miles from my house and so far they have treated me great weather I'm buying goodies or just visiting they treat me like family ,

x2 what steve said. I have actually come to like my dealer very much. My dealer just bailed me out this week actually. I destroyed a tire and they had me in within 24 hours. They charged me 1.5 hours of labor for the tire change. Personally, I couldnt have done it myself in 4 hours (plus I dont have a lift). I was pleasantly surprised when I saw they charged me as little as they did.

I quess I'm really lucky. My dealership has been there whenever I've needed them, even being patient with all my wife's questions:)

From the original sale research, through delivery, the H.O.G. support by the dealership and service (I picked my ride up at 7pm on friday from service...can't do that with my car even, except when sales people are around).

But, I have heard very bad stories of two other dealerships within 10 miles of my house.

Let's face it....it's a people world and exemplary customer service, while we should always expect it, is a bitch to deliver day in and day out.

Back