free website stats program Why is it called a derby? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Why is it called a derby?

No problem I got it the same way, a while back. Very interesting to see things have not changed much. Beside pricing

why WE call it a jiffy? I thought we got that term from youse gys.:D :D
How can it be a jiffy, when it's the only one? If we had center stands it would make more sense. I could be wrong, but jiffy seems to be a relatively new term. I always called it "kickstand". :newsmile102:

This is my understanding of the "jiffy stand". Early bikes had a rear stand that was held by a clip on the rear fender. to lower it you got off the bike, released the stand and pushed the bike back onto the stand.
43625.jpg

The kickstand could be set in a "jiffy" hence the name.

No problem I got it the same way, a while back. Very interesting to see things have not changed much. Beside pricing

I liked the full lap cover that kept you warm while riding... Really made me lol... Keeping warm was easier back in the old days... Could you imagine using something like that tarp today???

Thank you Jonas!!!!
signed....BUBBIE

I have a PDF 1948 Parts Book. You could buy a jiffy stand for less then five bucks. If I knew how to put it on here, I would share it.
Attached Files 1948_Catalog.pdf

Thanks for posting. Very interesting. I saved it to my desktop :)

Wow what a Cool catalog! That is a treat to look at. Thanks!

very cool catalog. We like to complain about HD prices. I just looked up a 1948 dollar to 2010 dollar calculator on line. $1 then is $9.23 now. So the first few things in the catalog are not that far off of todays prices. $130 battery, $10 (ouch) plugs, etc.
Thanks for the pdf.

Last edited:
Back