free website stats program Why is it called a derby? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Why is it called a derby?

HMMMMM, looks like a chrome derby hat, my 60 FL had one it leaked a lot of oil:s
The reason it leaked on the 60 pan is because they all leak , there is no oil in there it is run off the blowby of the engine to lubricate the chain then once the bike is shut off it seeps through everything , rest assured if there is oil leaking the primary chain is lubed , any one can correct me if I am wrong this is what i have been lead to believe about my 60 pan , I havent had it long enough to take the primary off and confirm

The reason it leaked on the 60 pan is because they all leak , there is no oil in there it is run off the blowby of the engine to lubricate the chain then once the bike is shut off it seeps through everything , rest assured if there is oil leaking the primary chain is lubed , any one can correct me if I am wrong this is what i have been lead to believe about my 60 pan , I havent had it long enough to take the primary off and confirm

Drip oil drive chain lube system...holdover from "chain saw daze" different product same result! :newsmile075:

Ill start. cow bells .that chrome covering just under lower triple tree covering fork tubes. others can pickup from here..or ill add later.,.,.,,.:57:

cowbells - are the tins that cover the inner fork tubes on Touring, Heritage and Fatboys.
mousetraps - the hand clutch booster system on early model foot shifters.
jocky - a short hand shifter that comes right out of trans., behind riders thigh.
suicide - a foot clutch that engages by itself (not a shifter as OCC boys call a jocky).
maytag /cowpie- type of trans. used '79-'84. Has a round top like a washing mach. or a cow pie.

How many other slang names can members come up with? (and explain)

Hobbit & I were posting at the same time. Cowbell can also be horn cover. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cowpie - There are two types of 4speed transmissions. The cowpie was used 79 to 84. Looks like a cowpie on top of the transmission.

LOL Breeze never really understand why you guys call the side stand a Jiffy stand the only reason i can come up with is that it can be put down in a Jiffy :D

why WE call it a jiffy? I thought we got that term from youse gys.:D :D
How can it be a jiffy, when it's the only one? If we had center stands it would make more sense. I could be wrong, but jiffy seems to be a relatively new term. I always called it "kickstand". :newsmile102:

why WE call it a jiffy? I thought we got that term from youse gys.:D :D
How can it be a jiffy, when it's the only one? If we had center stands it would make more sense. I could be wrong, but jiffy seems to be a relatively new term. I always called it "kickstand". :newsmile102:

My Shovelhead Moco shop manual refers to it as a Jiffy Stand. I call it a kickstand too.

I have a PDF 1948 Parts Book. You could buy a jiffy stand for less then five bucks. If I knew how to put it on here, I would share it.

Attachments

• 1948_Catalog.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 21
Last edited by a moderator:
Back