free website stats program Why Do You Ride | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Why Do You Ride

There are some very amazing replies here...I am honored to get a glimpse into each of your souls as you describe the reasons. Some are riders as it is an economical form of transportation, some love the release from being chained down to family and careers for the brief few miles we get to put on the wheels in between work and family obligations, some have deep bonds with loved family members who shared this passion with us. For me, I have been riding since age 7 as well, I envy my lil brother as he learned at 4 on a little 2 speed honda 50 with fatty tires. He could ride that thing before he even tried a bicycle. I used to swipe...er, ah "borrow" my dad's CB750 when I was living with him during my college year in San Jose CA. what a rush...With everyting going on in this country, we are still blessed to be given the freedom of choice and the ability to enjoy it. Ride on.

I've re-posted this in it's entirety, if you haven't read it all the way though, I highly recommend you reconsider.
FB

Gosh this is going to sound stupid, but when I read the OP's question I just started to write. It made me think of so much in my life and how a motorcycle has always some how figured in to it. There's so many things that popped in to my head. I've been riding since the Pope was an alter boy... my goodness but I've changed out a lot of rear tires...

I got my first motorcycle in 1969, a nearly new Honda CL 70. My Dad had won it in a pool game down at Slim's. He was a great pool shot and frequently supplemented a mechanics meager income with that skill. I'll never forget the day that thing showed up, I just couldn't believe it was mine. To this day I clearly remember shifting gears the first time and forgetting to let the clutch out until the engine red lined and it stood almost straight up with me clinging for dear life to the back of it like some rodeo clown.

Several years later, I had parked the Honda and moved up to a DT 125 Yamaha. Twice as fast and a true enduro, I quickly became a little devil on two wheels. I could shift gears through third gear on the back tire, once jumped it over a state trooper's car, ripped up the neighborhood and dreamed of becoming the next Roger DeCoster...

Then the old man got tired of it and wheeled that old Honda 70 out and challenged me to a drag race. With a gleam in my eye, I gladly accepted the chance to trounce him good... In front of all my friends, three times in a row, that silly Honda slipped past my Yamaha until I refused to race again...

Dejectedly sulking in my bedroom later that night, I heard a knock and Dad sat down, slapped me on the back and began to explain the secrets of a motorcycle... The physics involved and, equally, the psychology of riding... The discussion ran long in to the night, it evolved in to gyroscopes, handling, women, stability, horsepower, dogs, launching, braking, guns and turning... a myriad of things that I had never before considered or even dreamed of. For many days after, I asked a multitude of questions and received as many good answers.

For years later he and I rode together across the country side, usually with me following. He and I explored forgotten roads, traveled to various towns of his youth and formed a bond that hasn't been broken even today... Sleeping on uneven ground, learning to shoot my whiskey straight, and generally leading a sinful lifestyle. But also delivering Christmas to the underprivileged, carrying groceries to the aged, and helping those in need.

I caught him in the garage recently, sitting on my Harley. He didn't know I was standing there behind him as he flipped the ignition, fired the bike, pulled the clutch and popped it in to gear. With the crack of the throttle and rumble of the engine, I saw the years melt off his frame, shoulders squared up and his head raised as he took the weight of the bike with his legs. I thought sure he was going to roll, when his thumb killed the ignition, kicked out the stand and stepped off. I eased up beside him and looked in to his eyes and said 'You know what time it is, you should have taken it...' He said 'I do and it's your time now, mine's over...' as he handed me back the key.

I think that's when I became a motorcyclist... that night, many years ago. Oh, he told me that night, how he had beaten that Yamaha so handily, and with that knowledge I never lost but one drag race after. But more so, he taught me to think of motorcycles differently than I had up to that point, maybe with more precision and skill, if that makes sense. I never did become the next DeCoster, but I have enjoyed a lot of country roads and excellent bikes. Met a lot of great people and bore witness to an even greater country.

I know that doesn't answer why I ride, but I really don't think there is an answer to that. Why in the world am I working on a heated jacket so I can ride in freezing weather, when there's a perfectly good truck sitting there paid for...? I dunno... You have to be crazy to be a rider, it's like asking why jump out of a plane or be a police officer or fight fires... None of the answers will tell you the true reason... Which may just be to feel our ears flapping in the wind...

The old man is busy dying now... stage 5 colon cancer has left him in sad shape, but he's left a legacy behind... successful children and a ton of grand kids. I wish he had taken the Harley that day... I'm sure the smile on his face alone would have given him another month or so.

Sorry for such a stupid reply, it just came out and makes it a bit easier tonight.

Jack,
I think your post is an incredibly well written piece. Sounds to me that you are a Rich Man with your memories, I am envious.

My answer to CAPITOL Jack's question is a little more simple... I ride because I am supposed to. I should have been riding more, a long time ago.

My relationship with my Father is a little different than 70_West's. I have terrific memories of riding with Dad from when I was too small to sit on the back of the seat and rode on the tank to about the age of 12 when I was big enough to shove my hands in the pockets of his jacket and hang on while on the back of his '65 Electra Glide. Then, he wasn't around much any more.

He and I are still in touch by e-mail. We compare notes, he about his Honda, me, about my Harley.

I think I need to give him a call soon.

70W,
Your story is amazing. Makes me really appreciate my father, who is 70, looks much older, but I enjoy my parents every day. I laughed out loud when you were telling about your dad beating you on the Honda 70; for whatever reason, my dad wants a Honda 70 Trail bike, he & his brother used to get them to take to the mountains and ride, dad didn't ride much, but he still loves that bike. If I find one, I will get it for him. :) I cried at the end, I have watched my father suffer quite a bit, but I am lucky to still have him with us today. Thank you for sharing. Sorry to hear about your dad's illness. Best of luck to you, I'll keep you all in my prayers.

My story is a bit different. I don't ride much these days, but my motorcycle beginning was a life changing event for me. It opened another chapter of adventure with my best friend, we rode our motorcycles to our wedding, so riding will always bring back good memories. We have been friends for 25 years, and we are making some tough decisions about our future, all good, but I actually told him last night that we may want to sell the bikes until we get things lined up, space may be an issue soon, so I made a comment that we can buy motorcycles any time. Actually, we may be selling a lot of things soon, but then again, my other suggestion was to buy some of the storage pods, find out what we would be able to keep, then have the sale. :D Time will tell how things will pan out for us, but you all will know the outcome. :D

In 1959, a friend allowed me to ride his 50cc Zundapp around the block a few times. Something awoke or was born in me that day that has never left. Soon after that first ride, my lawn mowing efforts resulted in my owning a Cushman. I have seldom been without some sort of motorcycle since. I ride for all the reasons mentioned in previous posts, but mostly for that feeling deep inside that only handlebars and wind can quiet.

Hey Folks, Just wanted to say thank you for the kind comments...Not sure where all of that came from as I am certainly not normally that eloquent. I guess there really is more to it than what I have written, even my moniker relates back to those days, as Hwy 70 was a major thoroughfare and frequently we were West bound on it, hence the "70_West".

Anyway... My ears were sure flapping in a cold breeze this morning! 36 degrees makes for a sure enough burr-shiver ride in.

Not sure where all of that came from as I am certainly not normally that eloquent.

I bet WISDOM.......:s
I will say you story made me stop and think.
The best to you and your family with Dad.....

I ride to work whenever the weather permits, and I ride every Saturday weather-permitting as well. Even in the winter, we get many good riding days here in Colorado Springs. When I have to go without riding for several days, I go through withdrawals and I get very cranky! It is a great way to relieve stress and it puts life into perspective.

Wow, a lot of great posts in here...

I ride because I love the experience. Whether it's commuting to work, weekend touring, or a cross country trip, when I'm on the bike all my senses are getting a work out. :D

I just wish the awesome fall weather we've been having would stay around all winter!

Hey Folks, Just wanted to say thank you for the kind comments...Not sure where all of that came from as I am certainly not normally that eloquent. I guess there really is more to it than what I have written, even my moniker relates back to those days, as Hwy 70 was a major thoroughfare and frequently we were West bound on it, hence the "70_West".

Anyway... My ears were sure flapping in a cold breeze this morning! 36 degrees makes for a sure enough burr-shiver ride in.
70 thanks for sharing that and I had same ride this mourning, I have been riding for long time now and in the beginning it was just for fun, but now its therapy for me life can throw a lot of thinks at ya and riding helps me clear the air and I really can't put it to words?:s

Back