free website stats program Why do you own a "Harley Davidson" motorcycle? Lets tell the world! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Why do you own a "Harley Davidson" motorcycle? Lets tell the world!

It’s like owning a piece of our history. It’s not just a motorcycle it’s a legend. How many business you know have lasted over 100 years. You can build your own style around it. The bike is great, the people who own them are great, well most of them. It's a life style that no other motorcycle can offer. :D

grew up aound the local mc. family and friends had harleys and i couldnt wait to grow up and get one myself. the bikes then and the bikes now are alot alike. glad they stick to tradition in styling. now i have a few of my own and im not disappointed.

Not much to add here. I bought a Harley when I got back into motorcycles after a 20 plus year break because of all the social interaction that comes with owning one. Figured the fun of entering the world of Harley owners would outweigh my dislike for their high cost relative to other bikes. I'd only ridden Hondas before.

Then something happened. I fell in love with the bike as well. They are special. Now I don't want to ride anything else.

Last edited:
I did a nuts and bolts restoration on a 1981 bmw r100rt it took 3 years with the bike on the road during the riding season best quality of bike i have ever worked on nothing broke as i stripped it
However although it was a very smooth and efficient bike i never really enjoyed riding it

Brian

I think you hit the nail on the head for me. I have a real love of riding and have been on two wheels for over 50 years. I have had several metrics and and they were very good motorcycles. My Z1B came very close to giving me the feeling I get when I swing my leg over one of my Harleys. There is a pure joy and a thrill when that large chunk of iron fires up. I don't ride to be seen, I don't own a Harley because of some status it gives me. And yes it is made in America by Americans, but so is the Goldwing. I ride a Harley because of the way it makes me feel.

I had quite a few of both metric and Harleys. My last metric was a 2008 Hayabusa but I could not control myself with the speed so I sold it. I would not buy a Harley look alike and the new Harley's ride and handle so much better than my old Harleys. Plus the quality is better. There is nothing in the cruiser or even touring market I would rather have than a Harley. The only arena metric's have an edge is the Sport/Speed.

For the record GW are no longer manufactured in the US. They began manufacturing in Marysville ,Ohio between 1979 and 2009 only 1 million were produced in this country. Of course Honda was not stupid that wanted to seduce the public with the "Made in America"stamp. These bike were not exported to other Countries.They are a good bike no doubt and as a HD rider i would never leave a GW stranded along a road . My first ever bike was a HD at age 58 am 65 now and I must admit the "Made in America" the sound,the feel the looks sold me. Oh God the looks even as a old guy the two most magnificent things made here was the 1957 Bel Aire Chev and The HD road King . Dang I love my HD (smiles) all Harley are awesome looking btw just to me the Road King is my Fav.

Don't like to be in a box..........no cages .. if 1/5 of the people rode bikes.. roads would not be so crouded.......my take......

Back in '69-70 I had a Triumph and a BSA. Then I saw the new Honda SL350 and had to have it. That's when the 33 yr argument started with the ex. (key word-ex) During those 33 yrs. I got the itch, without fail each spring as the bikes came out and you could hear and see them on the road. I also decided then that nothing sounded as good as a Harley. Stand near a road in a spot where you can't see the vehicles and tell me most of you can tell when a Harley goes by. NOTHING, AND I MEAN NOTHING, SOUNDS LIKE A HARLEY NO MATTER HOW HARD THEY TRY. Now that's not the only reason why I chose Harley but it was the first reason. American made tradition, looks, etc. And another important reason is when you meet a fellow Harley rider it's almost a given that you have just met another friend.

Last edited:
It's a Pride thing!! Just like being proud to be an American, I'm proud to own an American Legend!! Won't ride anything else.

Back