free website stats program Why do my gauges get damp then dry out? | Harley Davidson Forums

Why do my gauges get damp then dry out?

The gauges on my 2009 Road Glide sometimes are damp and unclear with what looks like moisture inside the lenses. After riding for 20 minutes or more they clear up nicely. The bike was in a Kansas thunderstorm in August. It was covered but after 2 inches of rain in less than 3 hours when it was uncovered it was totally wet. Should I try to dry them with the wifey's hair dryer?:panic

That is what Harley gauges do, they get moisture inside. Usually the heat from the bulbs dry them but if they are really bad you might have to do your magic with the hair dryer.
Ken

Has anyone tried putting some of those silica packets that come in electronics on the back of the guages or anything like that? Any thoughts on trying that?

Just wonderin' if that might work...

Has anyone tried putting some of those silica packets that come in electronics on the back of the guages or anything like that? Any thoughts on trying that?

Just wonderin' if that might work...

I doubt that would do anything for the moisture inside the gauge housing. Some have drilled a tiny vent hole at the lowest point of the housing to let the moisture vent out when the gauge heats up a bit.

I haven't had this problem with mine yet. But you're lucky - whenever I've gotten moisture inside a gauge, display or light fixture in the past it has stayed kind of foggy forever.

Just another built by the lowest bidder problem. I understand how profit margins work, but Harley has a lot of little quirks on there bikes. Gauges are right up there near the top. Had my speedo replaced twice under warrenty. Finally bought one of the new combo speedo/tach gauge. within 3 weeks couldn't see the led screen at the bottom. Now on the second one of them. I hope everything goes better for you than it has for me. Wouldn't want to ride anything else though

When I had my dash off I used a tip drill for a torch and drilled the bottom of the guages.The small amount of air that allows inside the guage cured the fogging problem.
I'm not sure what you means Steve by "a tip drill for a torch"? Could you clarify that? Thanks.

Nature of the beast, try a blow dryer even after washing the bike fogging is common

Back