free website stats program Why do dealers stick to "Don't change to synthetic until 5K" ??? | Harley Davidson Forums

Why do dealers stick to "Don't change to synthetic until 5K" ???

martysnarf

So I called my Dealership today to schedule my 1K Service, and I asked them if I could bring the fluids that I want them to put in for me while they are doing the service.

They STRONGLY discouraged me from changing the Engine Oil until 5K. They said not only does HD discourage it, but they as an individual service shop also strongly recommend that we wait until 5K.

It's generally agreed on here (and many other sources) that we can switch over to synthetic engine oil whenever. Why are the Dealers still insistent upon waiting until 5K?

Just curious...

Good question. At my 1,000 mi service, Chesapeake Harley recommended syn 3 in all three holes. HMMMMMMM.

How's the new ride? Was that you I passed Saturday, looked like this :D

Cause they're dorks. These are the same guys that tell you "they all do that" too. :D

You can switch at any time. The CVO bikes come factory fill with synthetics. I change my oils on a new bike at 100/1000/2500 and every 2500 after that. They run like a Swiss watch.

Funny- I just called another Dealer that has some better availability, but is a little further away, and asked the same question, and his answer was, "Sure, bring in the syns that you want us to put in and we'll be happy to. Folks do that all the time."

Sheesh!!! :bigsmiley31:

What a load of (self edit). Find a new dealer...better yet change your own oil...takes all of 15 minutes. No syn 3 at all ever...get a full syn. I assume you may have already paid for 1,000 mi service or they included it but ditto Gliders comment. That way you can become the authority on your bike. Also look for the link for the pdf of the service manual..I downloaded it from someone here and it is worth its weight in gold.Just shout for it on a post and someone will send you the link. Good luck to you.:bigsmiley14:

What a load of (self edit). Find a new dealer...better yet change your own oil...takes all of 15 minutes. No syn 3 at all ever...get a full syn. I assume you may have already paid for 1,000 mi service or they included it but ditto Gliders comment. That way you can become the authority on your bike. Also look for the link for the pdf of the service manual..I downloaded it from someone here and it is worth its weight in gold.Just shout for it on a post and someone will send you the link. Good luck to you.:bigsmiley14:

Thanks Red! I did do my own oil change at 100 miles like Glider recommended, and intend to do all of my own fluid maintenance going forward. The only reason that I want the dealer to do my 1K is b/c it is a pretty important service; they go over the bolts, adjust the clutch and primary chain, lube cables, etc etc... I'm not comfortable doing all of those, plus I want the ABS adjustment done that BigLew posted about too. From this service forward, I will do my own fluids, but the big ones (10 and 20K), I'll have to leave in the hands of the pros! I do have the .PDF of the Manual, and I have used it already 20 times!! I'll look at the Manual and determine whether the service intervals are do-able by me!!

I had a long post typed up to explaine all this but why bother .. this is just another reason why i dont let dealer touch my bike/cars if i dont have to

Good deal MARTY.. i also would not be comfortable doiin the abs stuff.
ABS/computer upgrades OK, Service.........no way. All the mecahnics do is change out the requested parts, take your bike out and ride it, bring it back and service or fix what appears to be out of spec. or adjustment. Some of them will check the criticul fastners, if they are a good shop. Then they charge you a "Standard" or "Listed" price, put yer ol parts in a baggie for ya and roll the next sucka onto the ramp.
Like you said though Marty, do what your comphy with, just don't let em kid ya!

Back